Chapter 1

Y/N'S POV

"Dr. Y/LN, you have a new patient today. Her old doctor retired and her mother said she's looking for a new one. She's been trying around and her daughter doesn't seem to like anyone." My nurse, Normani told me. I nodded my head and looked at the chart she handed me. I skimmed through the basic information and my eyes widened at what I had saw. I looked back to Normani.

"She's in her early twenties, Mani. Is there a reason her mom still has to do everything for her?" I asked. It's not like I was opposed to it or anything but I was just extremely curious. Mani looked around before motioning for me to lean in closer.

"She's severely autistic." She whispered. I nodded at the new information, everything falling into place. "The two have an appointment at two, which is in about fifteen minutes." Mani informed me. I closed the patients info and looked my best friend.

"Any advice?" I sighed out with a smile. Normani laughed and lightly hit my shoulder. Eventually she calmed down with a shake of her head. We both walked towards the front of the office so we could get what we needed from the front desk.

"All I'm saying is that the girl is very nervous around new people. She always has to have a certain routine so I'm guessing that's why she hasn't clicked with anyone since her old doctor. Just do the checkup and let's hope she doesn't hate you." She smiled. I rolled my eyes in a playfully.

"Gee, thanks." I sarcastically said. The two of us laughed in response until my name was called by one of the receptionists. I lifted my gaze and gave her my attention, handing her my last patient's records so she could file them away.

"Your two o'clock is here early whenever you're ready." Camila, the receptionist said. I gave her a smile and thanked her before I had Normani get the new patient. I had to make a quick stop at my office first but on my way I looked closer at the information provided to me. The patient I was seeing was named Lauren Jauregui, her mom Clara being the one that called. It was an ordinary routined checkup that seemed to be past due. My guess was because the two didn't like the doctors they've gone to see. When I came to my office I quickly filed out prescriptions to pharmacies where other patients needed them.

When that was done Normani stopped by my door and said that Lauren wouldn't let her take vitals. I sighed and dismissed her, making my way to the examination room. I knew this was going to be a lot more difficult than usual so I mentally prepared myself before knocking on the door and entering the room. As I opened the door I heard a raspy voice. "You can-can come in." I couldn't help but smile to myself. I was already halfway into the room when she said it.

"Hey guys, my name is-" Before I could even state my name, the one I'm presuming as Lauren cut me off with her own greeting. She was really amusing to me. "Hi Lauren. I'm Dr. Y/LN." I held out my hand to her mom first, the older woman shaking my hand with a smile of her own. When I held my hand out to Lauren she instead pointed at me.

"What's that on your-on your neck?" After she pointed she immediately started biting at her nails nervously, rocking back and forth. I looked down to see my stethoscope. I smiled and squatted down in front of the smaller girl after placing her records on the counter. I took the stethoscope off of my neck and held it up to her. Lauren instantly cowered away and clung onto her mom.

"It's okay honey, she's just showing you what it is." Clara whispered. At her words Lauren seemed to loosen up a little bit she was still extremely apprehensive. I didn't move, letting the green eyed girl grow accustomed to me and also letting her know that I was of no harm to her.