Chapter 8

The next day at work, it was as busy as it always was on Friday's. The office was bustling with sick children and the not so sick. There were families here strictly for blood work or family practice on the other side of the building, the receptionists' desk, and the nurses' lounge area behind the reception desk. There were patients that were regulars, and some that weren't. There were some here for nothing, and even patients here that should have been on their way to the hospital by now. Friday's were probably the most stressful days of the week, but it was ultimately what I signed up for when I wanted to become a doctor. I was just waiting for this day to be over since all I wanted to do was see Lauren tomorrow.

So far I hadn't received a call from Clara saying they needed me, which was good in a way yet I also just really wanted to see the younger girl. She always managed to brighten up my day without even trying or knowing what she was doing. In addition to wanting to see her, I also just wanted to get out of here because it seemed like this week, I was being worked to the bone. I needed some relaxation time with my crush, even if she could be so energetic at times. To me it was just relaxing to spend time with her without worrying about anything else. I shook my head to rid of my thoughts so that I could finish these last patient record folders before I was able to leave for the day.

I shrugged myself out of my doctor's coat and placed it on the back of my chair, leaving me in my black scrubs. I stood up from my spot, almost done with every folder except one. I went to head out of my office so that I could ask Camila for some help, but before I could even get a word out of my mouth, I heard my name being called by an unfamiliar voice. "Dr. Y/LN?" I heard just as I reached Camila. I looked up to see a tall blonde girl with a wide smile on her face. She walked up to me before placing her hand on my arm. "Hi, I'm Dinah. I just finished with my interview to be your new nurse and I start on Monday."

"Um, hello." I awkwardly nodded my head, not wanting to engage in a conversation right now. Dinah was stroking her hand up and down my arm slowly, making me feel really uncomfortable. I tried to take a subtle step backwards but the light-skinned girl only followed me. I sighed to myself and turned to Camila so I could just get out of here already. "I need you to call this patient's family and verify a couple of things with them. Their file is incomplete and I need it done as soon as possible. If you can't get ahold of them tonight, it's perfectly okay to just try again tomorrow. Thank you Camila." I smiled at the brunette before turning to head back to my office. I heard Dinah call out my name but I didn't turn back around. "Bye Dinah." I bid over my shoulder before making it into my office safely.

I grabbed my doctor's coat and slipped it on my shoulders again before gathering the rest of my things so that I could head home. A knock on my office door made me release a quiet groan as I threw my head backwards. "Yes?" I answered anyways. I was glad to see that it was just Normani who popped her head in. I motioned for her to enter to which she gladly accepted and sat down in one of the chairs in front of my desk. I made sure I had everything before sitting down on my desk across from her so that I could give her my full attention. "What's up?" I asked.

"Oh nothing." She replied nonchalantly, but there was a hidden smirk on her face. "I just saw that you met your new nurse." I rolled my eyes at her words and she clearly failed at trying to hold in her laugh. I snorted to myself and looked down at my hands in my lap after checking my watch. I was about to speak up but Normani only continued. "I think I see the reason why she wanted to be your nurse so badly though. She really wasn't trying to hide anything. Even Camila saw it; I think everyone saw it actually. No one said anything though." Normani continued to laugh at my misfortune. I wanted to roll my eyes again at her but I just couldn't help but smile.

"Yeah yeah yeah, get it all out." I playfully grumbled which only caused the darker skinned girl to laugh even harder. "Honestly though, Mani, you have no idea how uncomfortable I was. I was just trying to get out of here and she jumps on me like that in front of everyone? I can't imagine what it's going to be like when she actually starts working here." I scoffed to myself and looked back down at my shoes for a split second before looking back up to Normani. She was clearly still having the time of her life trying to tease me for this. Her laughing wasn't slowing down any time soon but I was just glad to see one of my best friends able to have fun.