Chapter 4

"Yeah just make sure to take vitals again to see if there's any change." I called out to Normani before walking into my office with a sigh. There were always countless numbers of parents not willing to take their children to a hospital so they bring them here to have us take care of them. I always tried to arrange for transport to the hospital from an EMT crew and it's just in that moment that they realize how bad their child's condition is. It could be frustrating at times to have to act as first responders rather than nurses or physicians.

I went to sit down at my chair while rubbing my forehead in exhaustion. I just a needed a minute to recollect myself before I started sending our prescriptions and filling out charts. It was almost time for lunch and I have never been more excited for a break in my life. As soon as I got out my pre-packed lunch I got a phone call to which I smiled at, leaning my head back against the chair. I cleared my throat and straightened myself out before answering the phone. "This is Y/N Y/LN."

"Y/N!" Just as I had expected, Lauren's voice rang throughout the phone. I couldn't help the jump in my heart at the sound of her raspy voice. "I-I missed you!" We had come up with a plan to have Lauren call me every day at noon, when I would be off for lunch for a short while before I had to go back to work. Clara and I noticed that it helped calm the younger girl down when we weren't able to hang out. I don't know if Lauren had told anyone about the kids but Clara hadn't changed her attitude towards me. I was hoping that was good news.

"Hi Lauren." I responded with a smile still on my face. I put the phone on speaker and let Lauren ramble on about her morning and the day before that. She went on telling me what she did, how she was feeling, and what she wanted to show me. I loved that the smaller girl wanted to show me everything and anything that she deemed interesting because I loved to see her happy. The raven haired beauty talked to me as I ate my lunch, responding to Lauren when she stopped to make sure I was listening before she went on again.

"Y/N when can I- when can I see you a-again?" Lauren stopped her rambling to ask in a small voice. I also stopped my eating once I heard the pure sadness in her voice, with a longing tone. I sighed and rubbed the back of my neck even though Lauren couldn't see me. I tried to think of the best answer for her but I didn't exactly know.

"I don't know Lauren, I've been pretty busy lately." I sighed softly. "I can try this weekend though. I can't make any promises but I can talk to your mom and see what she wants to do." I poked at my food, the majority of it gone already. My lunch would soon be over as well, and I had a patient that was supposed to be coming in right off the bat. I threw the empty container away before turning my attention back to Lauren who still had yet to answer. I sat back in my chair while crossing my arms and leaning my head back. I closed my eyes for a second. "Lauren, I'll see you this weekend. I'll talk to your mom and we'll work something out but please don't be sad anymore, you'll get to see me soon."

"Really?" Lauren clearly perked up at my words causing a smile to form on my face. I nodded my head, completely forgetting that Lauren couldn't see me. I mentally laughed at myself before responding in affirmation. The raven haired girl started cheering loudly on the other side of the line and I couldn't help the flutter in my heart at the sound. I didn't think anyone would be so excited to see me.

"Alright Lauren I have to go back to work now but I'll talk to your mom about this weekend. Goodbye." I straightened myself out and got ready to end the call after Lauren said her goodbyes. After the call there was a permanent smile etched on my face while I went to take care of the first patient back after lunch. The rest of the day flowed by smoothly, and as I found myself standing by the front desk filling out charts, Normani appeared behind me while placing her hand on my shoulder. I turned and offered her a smile, placing my pen back in my coat pocket so that I wouldn't lose it later. I closed the chart and gave Mani my undivided attention.