Chapter 2

"Alright buddy, you're good to go." I smiled and ruffled the little boy's hair before he jumped down from the table with a giggle. As his father came over to me I shook his hand and led them out to the front desk. On our way there I caught Normani's eyes as she looked like she needed to say something. I held up a finger before turning back to the patient and his father. "So I will send the prescription out but if the cough gets worse or it doesn't get better within two weeks let me know and we'll go from there." As if on cue the eight year old started coughing mildly.

"Alright thank you so much doctor." The father shook my hand one more time before he finished checking out. I made my way to my office where Normani had led me. When I got there I doused my hands in hand sanitizer so I wouldn't end up sick in the end. I sat down in my chair and finally gave my attention to Normani who was standing at the side of my desk with her arms crossed and a smug smile on her face. I raised my eyebrow in confusion as she persisted in trying to tease me for something I didn't even know was going on. I rolled my eyes before trying to send off some prescriptions causing the darker skinned girl to laugh. She came to rest against my desk right next to where I was so her body was facing mine, her arms still crossed over her chest. I stayed quiet knowing the older girl would eventually stop teasing me for whatever reason and tell me what was going on.

"You got two phone calls from Clara Jauregui, it seems like it's pretty important if you ask me." Normani finally spit out causing me to look back at her. "She keeps asking about the chiropractor appointment, seeing if you could go. It's tomorrow at three thirty I think she said. Personally I want to see you go." The shorter girl laughed lightly at my unimpressed look. "What? It's only going to make Lauren like you even more and she'll feel more comfortable, if she picks you as her primary caregiver. Plus my best friend side says go for it because she's cute and she obviously has a thing for you. And don't think I haven't noticed that you have a thing for her as well." She smirked causing me to once again roll my eyes.

"Yeah I'll go but chill out Mani, it's not going to go anywhere." I sighed. I knew she was going to speak up but she was cut off when my phone rang in the middle of our conversation. I had an idea of who it was so I put the phone between my ear and my shoulder before sparing a glance at Normani. "This is Doctor Y/LN." I said professionally. I heard the voice of my receptionist.

"Oh finally you answered, I have Lauren Jauregui on the line asking for you. Do you want me to put her through?" Camila asked and instantly my eyebrows furrowed in confusion. I expected Clara to be the one calling in all honesty but I didn't mind one bit. It had been about four days since I last talked to the green eyed girl and I was craving to hear her husky voice again. I cleared my throat to rid of the thoughts before telling Camila to allow Lauren through the line so she could talk to me. I waited a couple seconds as Mani jumped onto my desk in a full sitting position. She looked at me expectantly so I held my finger up to tell her to give me a minute.

"H-Hi Y-Y/N!" Lauren squealed through the phone and I had to slightly pull it away from my ear since it was so loud. Normani laughed beside me and I couldn't help but smile at the husky voice I've missed. I brought the phone back to my ear. "My-My mom has been-has been trying to uh trying to call you. Did you not an-answer because you don't-you don't-you're not friends with her?" I was about to correct her but before I could she continued. "And-And you only answered me because-because you and me are fr-friends?"

"Hi Lauren." I started off quietly. "I've been very busy so I'm sorry for not answering earlier but it's not because your mom and I aren't friends." Normani was still laughing at me so I pushed her lightly and pointed at the door, signaling for her to leave. Eventually the nurse left my office and closed the door behind her. "Anyways, what can I help you with, Ms. Jauregui?" Lauren giggled loudly and I could faintly hear her telling her mom what I said all the while with her cute stutter. My smile spread even wider at the pure excitement in her voice and her enthusiasm. Her laugh was so childish and cute it made a flutter in my chest every time I heard it. I waited patiently for Lauren to finish telling her mom what I said as I finished off reports and added notes to patient profiles. Finally the younger girl yelled my name while a chuckle left my lips. "Yes?"