Chapter 11

After the confrontation with Normani, I didn't know where the two of us stood now. She was literally telling me to go for Lauren one minute and now she suddenly changes her mind and it's against everything we've ever known. I didn't know what that meant for our friendship or if this even changed anything for us. Did I just lose one of my best friends because she didn't me dating the person I was with? Technically Lauren and I weren't together but it was almost as if we were because of the way we acted with one another. It felt so normal for us, like it was a routine we've grown accustomed to. I wouldn't want to be with anyone else.

So a while after Normani had left, Lauren and I remained in the position where I had my head leaning against the door as Lauren hugged me from behind, her head in between my shoulder blades. I don't know how long we had been standing there for but I knew I was in complete bliss despite the occurrence with Normani. Lauren had the power to take all of my stress away even though she didn't know she was capable of doing so. I loved that innocence about her; with her not knowing what she was capable of or what she didn't know about relationships in general. I wanted to be the one to show her how to love and what it's like to experience someone loving you back. I wanted to protect her and make sure she kept that same innocence about her because it's what made her truly Lauren; and I loved that.

"Y-Y/N?" The shorter girl broke me out of my thoughts so that I could lift my head off of the door. I turned around in my spot but Lauren didn't move her arms away from my waist. I hummed to let her know I was listening. "I'm-I'm hungry. Can we- Can we go get something to-to eat?" She asked with a wide smile on her face that I couldn't resist in reciprocating. I nodded my head causing Lauren to cheer loudly. She began jumping in her spot and clapping her hands wildly, so I had to take the initiative to keep her quiet just in case anyone else was still in the building to witness all of the noise coming from my office. I placed my hands on Lauren's shoulders to calm her down.

"Only," I paused, catching Lauren's attention. She looked up at me with her emerald eyes full of curiosity and wonder. "If you give me a kiss." I smirked in victory but it quickly vanished as soon as Lauren jumped in my arms so that she could plant a big, wet kiss upon my lips. It was very short and not at all satisfying, but Lauren was way too excited about eating to care. She bounced around my office trying to get me to clean up my belongings so that we could leave. She tried pushing everything into my hands which made me laugh at her antics. It was crazy to see how much her mood had shifted and how excited she was to finally be able to eat after a long day.

When we had everything ready to go, I snuck Lauren out of the back of the building just in case anyone were to see the two of us. It honestly felt like we were high school teenagers with a forbidden love, trying to sneak around parents and the general public that would out us and have us getting into all kinds of trouble. The thrill was sending my adrenaline all over the place which was hyping me up in a way. I was having way too much fun with this than I should have been, but I didn't care at this point. I finally realized that I was possibly falling in love with my patient, and I was in too deep to get out of this now. I could finally admit that to myself and it was a feeling I had never experienced before.

Lauren and I reached my car and slipped inside inconspicuously before I started driving away from the building. I wasn't sure if I would have to bring Lauren back tomorrow or what, but I knew I needed to get into contact with Clara once more by tonight. As much as Lauren seemed to be having fun being with me, I could tell she was quickly becoming home sick and missing her family more than ever. If I had to guess, I would say this is the longest she's been away from her family because no one else has ever taken care of her like this; she didn't like anyone else as much as she did me, as cocky as that sounded. This was something very different for Lauren and I was actually very surprised she seemed to be handling it so well.