Chapter 17

The day seemed to drag on way too long for my liking but eventually lunch rolled around and I would be allowed to stay in my office for an extended period of time, which means I would be able to be with Lauren again for the first time since this morning. I all but ran to my office and closed the door behind me quietly after I entered, seeing Lauren still asleep in my seat. My heart somewhat hurt knowing that she probably didn't get enough sleep because she was too worried about what she did to cause me to make the decision I did. She looked so tired and that was immensely easy to tell just with one look at her. I sighed to myself and took my coat off to place it on the rack in the corner by my desk. I grabbed my lunch and a drink from the mini-fridge at the corner of the room all while looking to make sure that I hadn't woken Lauren up just yet. I knew eventually she had to eat because she was compromising her health but for some reason I couldn't find it in myself to wake her up.

I sat in one of the chairs in front of my desk as I prepared my lunch to eat. Eventually I would have to feed Lauren as well but I just wanted to get everything prepared before she woke up so that there would be no time wasted later. When I had everything set up, I finally stood up and brushed my pants off so that I could go wake Lauren up from her deep slumber. I crouched down once I was next to the chair and placed my hand on one of Lauren's curled up legs. I softly shook the smaller girl and called out her name equally as soft so that I wouldn't end up startling her. It took a couple minutes but eventually I found myself able to wake emerald eyed beauty who immediately yawned while rubbing those same forest colored eyes. I sat back on my heels and watched with a smile on my face as Lauren continued to try to wake herself up. It took another couple of second before she met my gaze. "Y/N?" She whispered.

"Come on, we're going to eat." I held out my hand for Lauren to grab to which she did hesitantly. My smile widened now that she was cooperating and she had said my name. I missed the sound of her voice, and I didn't know how much I did until this point. I slowly stood to my feet as Lauren stood from the chair only to fall into me. I quickly braced around her waist but it wasn't hard to miss the fact that she couldn't put any weight on her foot. I didn't see which one it was but I knew this wasn't good. "Are you okay? Did you get hurt somewhere?" I rattled off some questions as the worst popped into my mind. Had she gotten hurt while she tried to come find me during the night or did something happen in here while I was with patients? I was fearing the worst but Lauren quickly shook her head while looking down at her feet. I paid close attention to her eyes in hopes that I could decipher some kind of emotion, but I couldn't come up with anything.

Lauren stomped her foot on the ground several times. A grunt left her lips but I was still lost as all hell. When the raven haired beauty finally looked back into my eyes, an almost sheepish look spread across her face which only piqued my confusion. "M-My leg- My leg just- My leg just fell a-asleep." Lauren admitted as her cheeks warmed into a reddened blush. The chuckle that escaped my lips came out way too relieved, but Lauren didn't pick up on that as she spotted the lunch on the other side of the desk. "I'm so- I'm so hungry!" Just like that, her childish antics were back as if this morning never happened. This reminded me of the times I brought her into work with me while she was still staying with me; even though it wasn't that long ago. I snapped out of my daze to lead the shorter girl over the two seats on the opposite side of the desk where I sat down and motioned to the seat next to me for Lauren to do the same. Instead of sitting in the chair next to me, Lauren plopped herself down in my lap which sent me through a loop due to the fact that it was so unexpected for me.

Nonetheless, I wrapped an arm around Lauren's back to make sure she didn't fall off of my lap as she took it upon herself to dig into the food that I had already prepared. The emerald eyed girl leaned back into my front as she happily munched on the chicken I brought for lunch, and she even reached back to give me a bite every so often. It was as if nothing had changed between the two of us. Lauren had practically laid her whole body against my own but there was no way in hell I was going to complain about that now. No part of me was going to complain about anything related to Lauren because in no way did I want to take her for granted again. It was simple moments like this that I didn't even realize I was missing out on, but I knew they meant the world to me. Lauren could go back to hating me after this, or even just not talking to me, but I knew that for right now in this point in time, I was happy to be spending this time with her. There were no words exchanged between us but for me that wasn't really important right now.