𝐨𝐧𝐞 [ the mission, part one. ]

Author's Notes: So I didn't really count on so much support so soon! In return, here's chapter one! To the Buffy fans, this is not the last of the cameos. To everyone, let me know whatcha think!

Song Recommendation ["Meet Me In The Woods" - Lord Huron]

NOTE: For the full experience, I do personally suggest seeking out each song rec.

† ☾

Just outside Beacon Hills, a bus stops in the dead of night.

† ☾

"C'mon! I swear it won't kill you

"C'mon! I swear it won't kill you."

It was day number one hundred and eighty-seven and counting because that's all there was anymore. A tally mark, an 'x' on a calendar, and nothing else to differentiate them. All she could do was count each one as they passed and fill the space between the worst moment of her life and her very last with as much time as possible. Maddie traced the long, thinning scar to the left of her belly button through the black cotton of her t-shirt. Sometimes, she swore it still stung a little.

Her eyes snapped up, squinting in the sunlight at the outline of the man in front of her. "No."

"Not to be that guy, but you kinda have to."

"It's stupid. She knows it's stupid and you know it's stupid." She shuffled in her spot and adjusted the bag on her shoulder. It was heavier now than when she packed and she wasn't sure why.

"It's not stupid but even if it was - which it isn't, might I add - you have to say it anyway."

"But -"

"Hayes, it's our code." His shoulders sagged a little when she quirked an eyebrow. "Okay, your code. Not really my code. I mean, sort of my code because it's your code. Anyway - we can't let you leave until you say the thing so let's get this show on the road."

"It's an outdated legend, not a code." She crossed her arms. "And when the hell did that become a rule?"

"Around the time there became about three thousand of you. So, maybe it's no 'in brightest day, in blackest night'..." She stayed silent and simply blinked at the older man, her mouth remaining a thin line. His shoulders slumped. "It's good to know your capacity for witty comebacks is on point as usual."

Maddie, in a huff, took an exasperated breath and kicked the dirt on the ground. "...into every generation, slayers are born. The chosen. We alone have the strength and skill to hunt the vampires, demons, and forces of darkness. To stop the spread of their evil and swell of their numbers."

"And that, my young padawan, is the end of your training," the man replied with a triumphant grin.

"Great. Can I leave now?" she bit back and winced. When she looked up at the one-eyed man, his demeanor stayed friendly and a frown tugged at her lips. "...I'm doing that thing again, aren't I?"