𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨 [ the mission, part two ]

A/N: I legitimately went through the entire range of emotions because of this chapter. I got to write my favorite Buffyverse character for the first time in years. I got to write the scene you've all known was coming. I got to humanize some characters that desperately needed it.

I'm also starting a poll. Let me know your favorite scene in From Ashes. If you wait until the end and come back, that's fine. If you change your mind by the end, that's also fine. Just let me know. People who participate and explain why they liked a certain scene will get a future shout out!

We're almost there.

Song Recommendations ["You Are a Memory" - Message to Bears

"Jenny of Oldstones (cover)" - Florence + the Machine

"In the End (cover)" - Tommee Profitt feat. Fleurie ]

NOTE: For the full experience, I do personally suggest seeking out each song rec.

☽ † ☾

"No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.

Or you don't."

- Stephen King, The Stand

☽ † ☾

Fall 2010

Once upon a time, a war ended and Buffy Summers changed the world. The night before battle, she asked a room full of teenage girls, and subsequently a couple thousand other girls all over the world, a question that would define every single one of their lives.

"Make your choice. Are you ready to be strong?"

But this is not the story of Buffy Summers or any girl who sat in that room.

This is the story of six girls brought together some time later under one title: Team Alpha.

"Guys, hurry up!"

"If you tell me to hurry up again-"

"You'll what? Throw your staff thing at me?"

More commonly known as The A Squad.

Madeline Hayes eyed the twin daggers in Anne Marie's hands as she swung her arms. "You should probably have a holster for those."

A tiny laugh left Marie's throat. "Worried I'll take an eye out?"

"Hey, I heard that!" said a man's voice somewhere ahead.

"That's why I said it!" Marie shouted back with a cheeky grin. Maddie laughed quietly, half because Marie always made her laugh and have out of nervousness whenever she wondered if Xander and Marie would ever get along. Maddie watched Xander up ahead and wondered if the comment hurt. Marie nudged Maddie's arm, her grin transforming ever so slightly into a knowing smile. "S'okay, Mads. The only place the pointy ends of these are going is in the monsters."

"Just vampires, right?" another girl asked, lagging behind. "Not any other monsters?"

Maddie turned, seeing Nora, her long hair in a top knot as she walked in step with Charlotte, another one of the older girls. Charlie wore an amused smile and Maddie realized this was the first time she ever saw the girl without makeup, but she reasoned that it made sense.