𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞 [ speaking in code. ]

A/N: The song rec is purely a joke. Y'all know what's about to happen.

Song Recommendation ["Howlin' For You" - The Black Keys]
NOTE: For the full experience, I do personally suggest seeking out each song rec.

    ☽ † ☾    

Caution: If you hear howling, it's too late.

    ☽ † ☾    

The bell rang once more and sixth period finally, mercifully, ended

The bell rang once more and sixth period finally, mercifully, ended. Madeline struggled with her bag as she thought about the mountain of pointless work she accumulated by the time the bell rang. The day was a hellish one and she only narrowly avoided a detention for 'rudely talking back' in Chemistry. The teacher called on her several times at different points, knowing she couldn't answer.

Most of her lessons before today were taught from a laptop, of which she shared with four other girls after hers died. The information never stuck well, but maybe that was because there was typically a crisis or simply something better to do. Besides, she was always looking forward to being the first person to show up for training, which she was free to go to right after jotting down a page or two of schoolwork activities total.

Whenever Mister Harris called on her today, she would try to opt out of answering by pointing to someone who was actually raising their hand.

"Is there a reason you're choosing not to answer my extremely simple questions, Miss Hayes?"

"Well, they're not really simple."

"'In order to extract isobutyric acid from a solution of diethyl ether, what should one wash the solution with?' It's not a hard question. In fact, according to your records, you should be able to answer that and every other question I've asked." He scrutinized her while smiling, which only gave Maddie the urge to punch him. "Unless you're confirming the lack of structure and the incongruous method in which you were taught basic facts in your home schooling."

"I just don't find Chemistry all that interesting."

The man's smile dropped as the class laughed, just like in her first class of the day. He looked half stricken and half humiliated before he called her another 'genius' in the most sarcastic voice he probably could muster. It was like one of those nerd stereotype characters from all those eighties movies Marie loved so much. Or, worse, Carrie White just after the pig's blood dropped on her head during prom. Looking back, Maddie hated that movie.

From what she could gather, Mister Harris (a name she would never get used to calling someone who wasn't her watcher) was a thin, gangly man who seemed to hide behind his wordy insults which he slung at her and the other students. Somehow, knowing that she could break him like a toothpick gave her some sort of solace.