𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 [ lesson. ]

A/N: Welcome to Act Two! Ugh, this took forever. Like, I have no idea where I was going with this for a while. Luckily, filler is good for character development! There's plenty of nice little moments between Maddie and nearly everyone. Some awkwardness. Some slayer-related angst. Some excitement, maybe? We'll see, won't we? Enjoy!

Song Recommendation ["Once" - Brad Caleb Kane]
NOTE: For the full experience, I do personally suggest seeking out each song rec.

☽ † ☾

Guaranteed someone is going to roll their eyes at the last line. I know I did.

☽ † ☾

When I was younger, I always wanted to be...something. Something great, I guess. Stronger, faster, smarter. Exceptional. Then I was called. I was, for lack of a better word, chosen.

I thought I would become something greater, that my life would mean something. Something's better than nothing, right?

No. This isn't something. I've become nothing more than a shadow. No, even worse: a weapon.

So, then, why not decide to be a great weapon? I mean, what else am I good for? I've made myself into this – a weapon forged in fire and cold as steel. That's what they see, at least. For all the impenetrable framing I've built, there's nothing inside. I'm hollow. I've got no real interests or hobbies. No friends. Instead I have slaying and training and allies.

For everything I'm told I'm exceptional for, in reality I'm worth nothing to anyone. I'm expendable; a faceless warrior.

We are alone. I am alone – and my mission was done.

So, then, why did I feel the need to stay in Beacon Hills?

Easy.

It had been a month and I hadn't run into a single vampire.

+

"Not one?" Even the redhead on the other line sounded worried now

"Not one?" Even the redhead on the other line sounded worried now. Then again, leave it to Willow Rosenberg to wear her emotions on her sleeve.

Maddie plopped down in a chair, across from Chris Argent, who even seemed mildly intrigued by the news. The slayer sighed. "Not hide nor fang."

"Oh boy."

"There hasn't been a death specifically caused by severe blood loss from neck wounds in years," Chris said, his voice low and tired. It had been days since the death of his sister, Kate, and the stress of it all could easily be seen on his face.

The phone had been set on the center of the coffee table and put on speaker. Maddie looked at the device as if she was seeing the witch right in front of her. "So, wait...is that bad?"