𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧 [ war. ]

Song Recommendation ["Hunter" - Thirty Seconds to Mars]
NOTE: For the full experience, I do personally suggest seeking out each song rec.

☽ † ☾

The hardest truth the earth teaches us is that we are finite.

☽ † ☾

"So, you're not going?"

The next day had sprung upon them like any other with one exception - no signs of Lydia still. Aside from nearly getting caught by Allison's father, the night before had been a fruitless one and brought only more infuriating questions. Maddie frowned at the impertinent question as she leaned against the locker beside Allison's. Not only that though; she was frowning at the reaction Allison was giving her. That helpless, doe eyed look she tended to give the slayer every time they didn't agree. Guilt tripping should be illegal, Maddie thought. Still, she held her ground. "Your aunt hated me."

"But-"

"No," Maddie cut in, her dark eyes wide as if to make a point. "I mean, like, hated me. Legitimate loathing. From the moment I met her, she looked at me like..."

As the sentence faded, Allison looked withdrawn. "...A wild animal?"

Maddie's stare hardened and her jaw clenched for a moment. "Like a demon...a monster. Between that and your family..." The taller, fair girl's eyes shot to the floor immediately. The petite brunette struggled to withhold a sigh that attempted to escape her lips. "I just don't think I'd be welcome there."

It took a prolonged silence before Allison hesitantly nodded. There it was again - guilt stabbing through Maddie's gut and nesting there. That was when she heard something that turned her guilt into rage. Girls, chatting idly only feet away. This typically wouldn't bother the slayer all that much until she caught what they were talking about.

"...Not her sister, her aunt. The one who murdered all those people."

"You mean the crazy bitch who killed all those people?"

"Yeah, the fire, all those animal attacks - it was her aunt."

"Are you kidding? I sit next to her in English."

"Find a new seat."

Maddie quickly glanced over at Allison, who was still looking down although now there were tears shining in her eyes. She could hear them too. The slayer's blood was boiling as she turned around and the two girl who were giggling to themselves. She strode over without moment's pause to the two, arching an eyebrow as she sent them a glare. "I'm sorry - is there a problem over here?"

Both girls looked over at her, their own conversation coming to a dead stop. The edge in Maddie's tone was crystal clear as they gaped at her for a second, giving her a strange look. The girl on the right scoffed, "I don't know what you're talking about."