About faith and loneliness

The boat to Sindria was just a merchant ship, but it was more comfortable than any barrack you slept in. You were afraid you would be sick but the sea air suited you. Unlike Mephelios. The solid Fanalis was leaning against the fence, green as a vegetable.

"I told you not to come. Look at you now! Are you okay?" You wanted to touched his shoulder but he avoided your hand.

"I'm fully operational..." He turned back to the sea, one hand on his mouth.

"I'll wait you to recover, but you will have to answer for your disobedience."

You leaved before he could answer. The day after you departed the port with Aladdin, Alibaba, Morgiana and Hakuryuu, the Fanalis rushed from the bilge to offer his stomach's content to the sea. You didn't had the heart to scold him, it was the first time in 10 years you saw him vulnerable.

"I would not worry for him," told Alibaba.

"If I could, I'd send him back right away. He is so thick headed!"

"I think it's a Fanalis trait," laughed the blonde. "But anyone can see he cares deeply for you."

"Only because I am the Holy Maiden..." you whispered, turning your gaze to the horizon.

"If I may... what does it mean? Well, if you can answer me, of course!" he laughed awkwardly, a hand on the back of his head.

"It's not like it is a state secret, but I am not sure you'll be interested."

"I have a feeling that it weighs you down..." He had a small smile and his eyes were full of genuine concern. "You know, until not so far, I kept a lot of things to myself. Boy, it was annoying to deal with everything alone! So if I can help you, and give you some external point of view, I'll be glad to help!"

He offered you his hand, a bright smile spread across his cheeks. His radiance was so natural that for a moment, you considered taking it. You turned before succumbing.

"I can't shake it..." you whispered. "But I'm glad. It's not everyday that someone offer me his help so kindly."

You took a long breath, and invited him to follow you out of Mephelios' ears. There was a small bench at the stern and the two of you sat.

"Holy Maiden is only a pompous title, if I had to be honest. But before explaining you, are you familiar with Elepheltes' clergy?"

"I have read some things here and there," he said, clearly unsure about it. It didn't surprised you as his cult wasn't well spread around the globe.

"Elepheltes is the ancestor of my people. He came to this world with the blessing of the Creator and founded our country on fertile lands. Many people joined and worshipped him for his kindness and his courage. But he was only a man and he became an old man too fast for his emerging country. When he was bedridden, people started to worry for the future. Without Elepheltes, who could protect and guide them? 'Worry not,' he said, 'as I will always be by your side. When my time will come, a baby will be born and after him another, and so on until the end of time.' And at the very second he died, a baby boy cried for the first time. He was the first Holy Man. After him, like Elepheltes predicted, there was a baby girl. I am the 256th Holy Maiden, I was born at the moment the 255th died."

"I see..." he said quietly. "But why can't you touch other people? You said earlier you can't shake my hand, and Mephelios always avoid touching you."

Speaking of the wolf, the Fanalis was approaching the two of you, unsteady.

"If the Holy Maiden is touched too often, she'll lose her blessing and it will be impossible to tell who is the next in line. Elepheltes' Lands will lose their sacred leader."

"So, in the dungeon, when Aladdin..." started Alibaba but he was stopped by the sound of cracked wood. You both turned your head to see Mephelios kneeling in front of you, a fist in the wooden floor.

"I am sorry, I have failed in my duty to protect you."

"You really are noisy for nothing, my dear," you said. "I'm alright, see!"

You showed the precious stone around your neck, as white as the day you inherited it.

"If I had lost my power, the stone would have turned black..." you explained to a dumbfounded Alibaba.

"I understand now... (y/n), you must be so lonely... If you need a friend, or when just someone to talk to, you can come to me anytime."

You turned to the blonde Metal Vessel user who looked moved by your story. You weren't that lonely, you thought. But you weren't sure if your friends would still be there if you weren't the Holy Maiden. So you smiled to the blonde guy, happy to meet someone who didn't feel obligated to follow you.

"You are very kind, Alibaba. Thanks for your offer. I accept it, my friend."

As you exchanged a look, one of the crew started screaming.

"Land! Land!"

You got up, followed by Alibaba and Mephelios, to see your destination. Sindria kingdom grew bigger and bigger in your field of view, and your heart beat faster with anticipation.