Running

You left the banquet quickly after Helga's announcement, using the night to cover your flee. You had send her and Mephelios fetch your things as fast as they could, not knowing if Sinbad would consider you three as enemies now that the elders made it clear they didn't want to deal with Sindria. You yourself had trouble to sneak out, as Alibaba and the others tried to convince you to stay. You had try to guess the king's intention but when you glance at his traits, he was lost in thoughts, a grave look on his face. Before he could take a decision, you had left at the first opening.

The gardens seemed larger in the night. The multitude flowers was beautifully lighted by the full moon but you didn't pay attention to them and avoided some guards by crawling in the bushes.

"Playing hide and seek?"

"Shhh", you respond to the voice, completely absorbed by the tall guard's path.

It took you a brief moment to realize it wasn't one of your soldiers'. You turned to the source and saw the king grin. A gasp exited your mouth before you could refrain it.

"(Y/n), I'm sad you think I would take back my offer of hospitality." His voice was anything but sad. It was rather playful and a shiver ran down your spine when he leaned closer.

"I wouldn't like to cause a diplomatic issue between our countries, your Majesty," you said.

It was difficult to keep a straight face with a man this close. You tried to put some space between you, but you tripped on a root, landing on your bottom. You quickly came back to your feet and dusted the white shorts. Sinbad chuckled and you felt your cheeks take a bright red color.

"So you're a human being after all, miss Holy Maiden!"

"What do you mean?" you asked with a frown.

"Well, during our meeting and your training, you always looked graceful, strong and dignified. I was starting to wonder if you really were an Heaven's envoy. But tonight, I learned much more." He brought your fingers to his face and pressed a gentle kiss on them. "You can be clumsy and adorably blushing."

You coldly took your hand back. "With all due respect, I would ask you not to touch me. I will not permit anyone to violate Elepheltes' law. Would them be a merchant or a king."

You rose to your feet, and started to walk without even looking back. Anyway, your escape attempt was already busted.

"Do you really believe in it? Do you really believe you are a Holy Maiden?"

His questions stopped you. How could he know how you felt about this? You had never talked about your lack of faith to anyone. You even tried to lock it up away from your own thoughts. The fact he had so easily read your insecurities frightened you above all.

He followed you and you could feel his eyes on your back. "Can you really give your life for people who robbed you of your humanity?" This time, there was pity in his voice.

You bit your lips and turned to face the purple haired king with all your might.

"It's not about what I believe in, it's about what I can do to help my people as much as I can. They need a Holy Maiden and they need a General. I'll be both until my end if I have to."

Your voice was strong and calm despite your racing heart. You had convinced yourself so much about this it became easy to speak as it were the truth. But you knew you merely were a symbol without any true power. Sinbad seemed confused and a little bit angry. He put his hands on your shoulders, shaking them gently but with authority.

"You know your role is the one of a puppet. I see it in your eyes! Why are you so thick-headed?"

You shook him off, and it was a shout which burned your lips. "Because they believe in me!" There it was, the very first anger you expressed. Such a small sentence left you without breath. The rest of your speech sounded more like a whisper to yourself than an explanation and you looked at your feet. "Mephelios, Yura, Helga and so much more people... They rely on me. I can't let them down, certainly not in a time like this." A sigh escaped your mouth and you searched for Sinbad's golden eyes. "As king, I expected you to understand."

There was a moment of silence and only the song of crickets filled the space. To your surprise, you felt more sad than angry. Yunan's words came to your mind. *You'll overcome any issue with the person you'll soon meet.* You couldn't help but smile sadly as you hardly believed anyone could ever understand why you played your role diligently. Sinbad leaned on a column near by and looked at the sky.

"You are one of the most powerful being on this planet, (y/n), and there is an enemy much more dangerous than Kou. Lend me your strength and I will free you from your cage. I'll give you your life back."

You clenched your hands in fists when his true intentions became clear. "Give up the thousand of lives in Elepheltes' Lands to become your tool? Don't make me laugh! And who do you think you are to talk about my country with such arrogance? What do you think you know about us? About me?" You let the greater enemy part slip, certain it was one of his tricks to get you to side with him.

He was starting to lose his patience and you feared he would lock you up in his palace. You wondered if you would have time to run away. But he took a deep breath and his eyes met the ground before turning back to you.

"I am not a tyrant," he said, as if he could read your thoughts. "If I can't convince you now, can I at least give you something to look forward? As a farewell gift." His voice was gentle for once, and you lost some of your anger while staring in his golden orbs. Unsure, you stood silent, waiting for him to be more precise. He move closer to you and you instinctively stepped back.

"What if I told you you don't have to live without any touch." the king said.

You frowned. You have always been told that Elepheltes' chosen ones would lose their connection to Him if they were to be touched. Did Sinbad so badly want to rip you of your status? You took the small blade hidden in your shorts and pointed it to him. He didn't react as you were both aware he had the upper hand. Yet, you couldn't let him do as he wanted without putting a fight. You remained silent, gathering your strength, but he simply offered you his hand.

"What if you could touch as much as you want without turning this stone black? I can find a way to break this annoying rule of yours."

"Why are you doing this?" You were lost between hope and disillusion. You wanted it to be true but something inside was urging you to beware of Sinbad. He undeniably saw your hesitation and an inviting smile grew on his lips.

"Because I don't want you to be left alone. Come back to Sindria someday and I promise I'll put all my knowledge in your care."

It didn't take a genius mind to understand you were used. But his tone, his warm look and his contagious optimism brought you to believe every word he said. If there really was a way to permit you to touch people, you couldn't let it pass away.

"Let me think about it." You turned and headed back to your room, leaving an all too suspicious king behind.