Elepheltes' Lands

You felt nervous when the crow's nest called for land. You had override your rights by seeking help in Sindria and the sentence for high treason wasn't a joyful one, even for the Holy Maiden. In a less personal matter, Kou's soldiers were reported to be everywhere in the country. Not a single village were without a handful of soldiers and you feared they'd use this position to take control of Elepheltes' Lands. Everything was slipping from your hands because of your decision to go to Sindria...

It was with a grave look on your face that you disembarked the ship. As you mounted the horse readied for you, you took a deep breath, filling your lungs with salty air. It was now the only thing linking you to Sinbad, but you quickly chased this thought by shaking your head. You had missed the large buildings of the Capital and its people. A crowd procession followed you and the princess to the main temple. If you were usually welcomed by cheerings and wreaths of flowers, today was awfully quiet and under the close watch of Kou's soldiers. You couldn't help but feel unwelcome in your own country. Thankfully the temple wasn't far from the shore and you quickly passed the imposing red wooden gate. The six Elders were waiting for you in the front garden, with a tall red haired man you supposed to be the first prince. Your armor clattered when you climb down from your horse and the Elders bowed their head when you feet touched the ground. Ren Kouen approached and placed his fist on his heart before bowing.

"It's an honor to meet the leader of Elepheltes' Army. Your soldiers are part of the strongest I had the chance to face."

"And you are the only ones who bestowed civilian loss on us," you said standing firm.

"My only wish is to rally every country under the same banner, your Holiness."

You closed your hands in fists, resisting the urge to punch his goatee. "Bloodshed is not a way to unification."

The two of you stood silence for a few seconds, fighting each other with a glance. One of the Elders took a step towards you, both hands in front of him.

"My, my... Elepheltes is a merciful being and His envoy should show the same virtue."

"My apologies, Elder Oscar," you muttered, without even looking at him. "Maybe we should continue this discussion inside."

Kouen smiled at your proposition and it took you all your strength to smile back.

Kougyoku and Ka Koubun were escorted to the east aisle while the Prince and the Elders went to the council chamber, in the west aisle. Weapons weren't allowed inside so you put your bow on one of the altar. You concealed Asmodai's dagger in one of you boot when the group passed behind you. As soon as they left, Mephelios leaned toward you to whisper in your ear. "This isn't good. The army is not here, nor is Yura. I can't go with you so be careful."

"I'll be. For now, you should find where they are. Prepare yourself for every scenario."

He slightly nod and disappeared quickly with Helga in another hallway.

You followed the group inside and sat at your usual place, at the end of the table. Kouen sat at the other end, putting the two of you on an equal level. When everybody was in his or her place, Elder Oscar coughed to have the attention.

"We are here to discuss the peace's offer that Prince Ren Kouen of the Kou empire were kind enough to propose. The Holy Maiden still have to answer for her behavior but I trust everyone here to postpone this matter to another time."

His sentences were as long as ever but you quietly thanked him for avoiding internal quarrels in front of the prince. He took a long breath before continuing.

"For now, I would like to welcome with us the instigator of this blessed meeting."

The door opened once again and Yura entered, followed by masked people you never saw before. Sinbad's words came back in your mind and you frowned. Your guts were telling you that those people had something to do with his warnings. The fact that Yura were with them should have reassure you but her eternal smile was a one she never shown before. You noticed that four of the Elders, including Oscar, bowed to her with a totally new respect. She sat beside Kouen as they exchanged a knowing glance.