24. Confrontations

"Baek... You really matured."

A very familiar voice penetrated his ears, making Baekhyun lift up his eyes from his plate. He eyed his elder brother on the other side of the table, sending a quizzically look. "Uhh, yeah, I guess..."

Jongin smiled, "it's like... your school trip has changed you." His voice lingered in the air, the atmosphere tensing slightly. Baekhyun gulped, "yeah, kind of--"

"Or it's just puberty. Puberty is knock knock knocking on your door, coming to smack you, baby bro," he giggled, cracking a horrible joke, laughing at his own joke. "Haha, get it? Get it?" Of course, what were you thinking -- Jongin would never stop with the Knock, Knock song references.

"That song isn't as recent as it used to be, hyung..." Baekhyun chuckled awkwardly in return. A heavy silence settled over them, thicker than the uneasy tension in the atmosphere. At least for the younger male it seemed rather awkward. Jongin spoke up once again.

"How was it, though?"

Baekhyun had seen it coming. It was an established fact -- coming back would mean he'd also have to deal with questions regarding his school trip.

He shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "Ah, great, great," he cleared his throat. He felt painfully out of place, like a slice of salami that had mistakenly made its way onto a vegetarian pizza.

"I learned a lot of new stuff." Like how to snort cocaine or roll a blunt, how to give a lap dance. How to be a successful stripper. How to deal with your drug addict of an affair-or-whatever-the-fuck-he-was-to-you that almost died due to an overdose. "A lot of new stuff, yep."

"I'm glad, Baekhyun. You're finally growing up," Jongin sighed heavily, fanning his eyes with his hands as though he was about to cry, just to exaggerate the moment, of course. "Ah, I'm getting emotional. Just a few months ago you were still a fetus. Time's fast, time's fast."

Baekhyun took a sip from his hot chocolate coffee, trying not to loose all of his lip tint on the rim. He then nodded like an idiot, croaking out a "hahaha".

The ringtone of Jongin's phone barged in. His elder brother was quick to check the caller's id.

"Oh, it's Chanyeol." Baekhyun felt a tug at the heartstrings as soon as the name got mentioned. His body reacted rather instantly, flinching lightly, and Baekhyun was hoping with every fiber of his being that the other male didn't actually notice it. "Don't worry, Baekhyun, he won't come over, I know how much you hate him. We'll meet up somewhere else."

And then it clicked. Right, he hated Chanyeol. Or, he was supposed to hate Chanyeol.

Baekhyun pursed his lips.

So act like it, Baekhyun. The last thing your hyung should know is that you've been fucking one of his best friends behind his back for months now.

Baekhyun straightened up his back, clearing his throat once again. "Thanks, God. He shouldn't be allowed to ever come over."

This was pretty much weird, yet humorous. Baekhyun had to act like he hated Chanyeol. It had been the most natural thing to do back in the days, it had been a damn life-style. And yet...

Time was really fast.

*

There was no other place where Baekhyun was able to catch a glimpse of Luhan than at school.

Coming back meant Baekhyun would go back to his old life, to his usual daily routine. No pool parties, no strip clubs, no beaches - these things were more or less water under the bridge now.