[18]

...

"Is this seat taken?" Rose asked timidly as she gestured toward the spot next to Melissa.

Melissa took a deep breath and then smiled, "No, here please sit."

"Thank you," Rose smiled and then said politely, "I don't think I've formally introduced myself," she reached her hand out for Melissa to shake, "I'm Rose."

Melissa smiled at Rose's kind gesture, "Rose...that's a beautiful name. I'm Melissa." She shook Rose's hand.

Rose wasn't as mean as she usually comes off as. She could be very kind and caring, she just never liked showing that side because she felt as though it made her vulnerable. She had to hold that harsh exterior so nobody would want to mess with her.

"How have you been since that night?" Melissa asked quietly, leaning closer toward Rose.

Rose shook her head, "I should be asking you that."

"I'm still...managing." Melissa answered.

"It's a lot, I know. And I'm sorry." Rose reassured.

"I'm learning."

Rose smiled at Melissa before Sheriff asked aloud, "Oh, no. Why is my son running out to the field?"

"Because he's on the team?" Melissa answered, stating the obvious.

"He is."

"Mhm..." Melissa and Rose hummed simultaneously.

"He's on the team. He's - he's on the field." Sheriff began standing up with excitement, "My son is on the field!" He shouted, his fist raised high in the air. He noticed that everyone around him was staring and he quickly sat back down on the bleachers.

"Mind if I join you?" Lydia asked looking down at Rose.

"Of course not," Rose smiled and scooted over closer to Melissa, so Lydia could fit next to her.

Rose sat on the bleachers between Melissa and Lydia. She was filled with anxiety and knew that nothing good was to come of this night. There was a much bigger game than the one happening tonight, and the only thing on her mind was winning.

"Scott...Rose, can you hear me?"

Both Scott and Rose exchanged a worried glance up at each other from different parts of the field. Their bodies both tensed at Gerard's eerie voice whispering to them. Scott then looked back down at the field, while Rose stared straight ahead.

"Ah, you both can. Good. Then listen closely because the game is about to get interesting. Let's put a real clock on this game, shall we? I'll give you until the last 30 seconds. When that scoreboard clock begins counting down from 30, if either of you haven't given me Derek, then Jackson is gonna kill someone. So tell me, who's gonna die tonight? Should it be your mother, who so bravely came out to support you? Or the Sheriff, your best friend's father? Or how about the pretty little redhead who managed to survive the bite of an Alpha? Or maybe one of these innocent teenagers with their whole life ahead of them? Or should I do everyone a favor and kill that ridiculous coach? What about you, Rose, hm? I'd get the honor of killing another Hale- one that I presumed was dead. It's up to the both of you. But you are going to help me take Derek down. Because if you don't - I'll have Jackson rip someone's head off right in the middle of the field and drench everyone you love and care about in blood."

Rose blinked a few times, trying her hardest not to get work up over this. But Gerard's words were haunting. It was like she was reliving the day of the fire when her whole family was threatened, but this time it was specifically Derek. Memories flashed back in her head and she was beginning to feel overwhelmed.