The Hidden Dark

"Help me out here, Asmoday!"

Your necklace shimmered briefly and then you were outlined in a white glow. Slowly, all the scratches that you had started fade and your bones moved back in place. It stung slightly but the alternative would be worse.

The only thing that didn't go away was the black mark on your arm.

Derek furrowed his brows in worry.

"... Empress."

"I think that I should try Orthrus instead..." You stated uncertainly. "He's dark and this mark might be his."

"Right." Derek then grabbed the sword that was resting atop of a nearby dresser and handed it you eagerly. You then unsheathed the blade and held it in front of you.

'I hope it isn't though.'

"What do you mean by dark?" Sinbad had an expression of interest.

"It's exactly what it sounds like my lord." Mira started. "It's a djinn that uses black rukh... Getting these stains on ones skin is a side-effect of using Orthrus."

"Then why were you surprised when the mark appeared on you arm if you knew about it?" Ja'far questioned as he leaned in.

"Orthrus was my father's djinn. It was given to me when he died." You ran your finger along the blade. "But I was shocked to see the stain because they don't appear unless the user is going to die soon."

Sinbad showed a look of grief.

"In exchange for power, the djinn absorbs a larger amount of magoi than most djinns." Derek continued. "But the black doesn't consume you unless you're on your deathbed."

"How will using the djinn that caused it help?" Sinbad asked as he eyed your sword.

"The thing is..." You gripped the handle with both hands. "You can ask it."

"Ask it? As in directly talk to your djinn?" Ja'far sounded surprised.

"From what we know, it only works with Orthrus." Mira responded as she folded her arms in front of her.

Sinbad's eyes narrowed.

"Okay... Here goes." You breathed out slowly. "Orthrus, let me seek an answer within your infinite wisdom..." Flipping the blade over, you quickly cut diagonally across the palm of your hand. An ominous winded lifted your hair off your shoulders as you closed your eyes in concentration.

You then heard a single drop of water echo and hit a larger puddle of water.

When you opened you eyes again you were standing barefoot in very shallow water. Your entire surroundings were pitch black aside from a small radius of light that moved with you as you walked through the dark.

As you kept walking, you would occasionally pass by some stone altar or crumbling wall. Apart from that, it was empty-nothingness.

Seeming to be going nowhere, you stopped and looked around. You thought it would be pointless because of the dark but then... You saw it.