Romance Results

The main judge on this genre was reneeshantel. They did excellent work, sending me great results very early. I would definitely recommend them as a judge for any other contests! 

The secondary judge was achudasama1

GOLD WINNER

The Forgotten by magicpoppy - 28/30

The cover on this one is simple but attractive, and I absolutely love the placement and style of the text. The blurb is compelling and made me eager to get to the first part, and paired with the title it just sounded promising. I was excited before I even started to read.

The description in this story is amazing! The characters each have their own distinctive personalities without the need for telling the reader what they are, and within the space of five chapters I already feel like I know each of them. There are only a few minor typos throughout the story, nothing that a quick edit couldn't fix, and no major errors that I could spot. The only downside is that I haven't yet gotten a romance vibe from it! I do feel like it's just around the corner though, with the introduction of Jeremy making its appearance at the end of the fifth chapter, so this is promising. I would like to have learned a little more about Charlie, and maybe seen more of Cara's emotions while she was at school after his death.

I thought the plot was perfectly paced – it felt natural as it moved along, and there was always something to make me curious enough to want to read on. I feel like romance is a genre where it is particularly difficult to be original, but this story absolutely managed it. I actually can't wait to finish reading the entire thing!

Does the backup judge agree with this score : NO, should have scored 27/30

The cover is very poignant and the summary is lovely with an emotional excerpt followed by story details presented in an unique question and answer style. The beautiful imagery flows well and the style is consistent where the cars take naps, a cookie wants attention and grief has its own waterfall. With its narratives where heart wrenching pain jumps out from the page and you feel like you are in the midst of some amazing friends with the descriptions. One of the best pieces of prose I have encountered in this competition after reading 31 books!

The plot set-up and background is done expertly even if it is slow. The details, the emotions, the interactions and the every character's persona are beautifully crafted. I missed the romantic feel but the hilarious author's notes add another dimension to the friends! I am speechless and enthralled at the magnificence of the writing!

SILVER WINNER

More Than This by @4thpowermama – 27/30

The cover for this story is brilliant: it screams of romance and is aesthetically pleasing, although I'm not a huge fan of the placement of the title. The title is refreshingly original and gives off the romance vibe well. The blurb is short and doesn't give much information away, but teases you just enough to make you want to read further – exactly what a good blurb should do!

The writing is outstanding. Spelling and grammar are outstanding, but there are a few places where punctuation is missing. It would be worth fixing this just to make the writing look that little bit more complete. The characters each have very distinct personalities, and you seem to have done this effortlessly. I especially love that you make me want to sympathise with the abusive boyfriend!

I started out thinking this plot was going to be entirely cliché and predictable, but three parts in I realised how very wrong I was! It has the girl in the bad relationship with the school's hero, and the bad boy there to save her – but the addition of the abusive boyfriend's perspective makes for an incredibly interesting twist! You seem to be focusing more on the characters' feelings than on anything actually happening around them, and that works for this story – but I would still like to have seen more description. The plot is paced very well, and you can see it coming along nicely.