[5] Adoption?

Kennedy Fain

It's been three months since I first started talking to him. Im getting pretty better at talking since I haven't for a little over six years.

We sit on our living room couch, cuddling and laughing, but trying to make a big decision, a decision that could impact the rest of our lives.

"Nate, I think this is a wonderful idea for us." I say to him persuasively.

"Kennedy, I don't know if we are ready for that kind of commitment yet."

I have been trying to persuade Nate to adopt a child, to live with us & to call our own. The house is so big and we would have plenty of room for one, but he doesn't feel like he would be a good parent.

How exactly do you persuade a man that he is a good parent?

"Nate, you know as well as I do that we would be amazing parents to a child."

"Ken, I know you would be an amazing mother, but I just don't see myself as a father, y'know?"

He gets up from the couch and begins to walk towards the kitchen.

I get up from the couch, too, and walk behind him huffing.

"And what makes you think that you wouldn't be a great father?"

I lean on the closed door of the refrigerator, while he stands in front of the opened one and looking inside.

"Since when have I ever proven that I would be?" He gives a real serious look.

"All those times we took Andrew to the park and let him spend the night."

"And?" He asks, seeming to like the idea of him being a father.

"You played with him on the structures, pushed him on the swing, and even carried him home when he was tired. Let's not forget how you tucked him into bed also."

He closed the door with food in his other hand, and just smiles down at the ground while walking over to the stove.

I walk over behind him and wrap my arms around his stomach, tightening in a squeeze.

"Promise me you will think about it, babe?" I ask him.

"I promise, babe." He says as he turns around to me, wrapping his arms around my body.

I look up to him, and place a kiss on his lips. I have learned throughout these amazing months that nothing helps him think about a decision more is a sweet kiss on the lips.

I let go of him and let him finish what he was beginning to do. Walking over to the hallway mirror, I examine my morning hair and smell my body odor, yuck.

"Hey Nate, I'm gonna go take a shower really quick." I inform him.

"Kay babe." He didn't look up to me, but was focusing on the stove. I just shrugged my shoulders and then jogged up the stairs.

Nate Ruess

As soon as I hear the click of the bathroom door shutting upstairs, I relieve myself and begin to lean over the sink, trying to catch my breath and gather my thoughts.

Adoption, why does she want to adopt all the sudden?

I mean, I think it's a wonderful thing to do for a child sitting in a foster home, but me and Kennedy haven't been dating for two years yet.

I then just remembered, that box under the cabinet, still sitting there, waiting for the perfect moment.

The ring is ready for the moment. But the question is, am I really ready?