[8] Fights

Kennedy Fain

Fire - Bipolar Sunshine

A week later from having Dylan in our family, everything has been wrong. Yes, I said wrong. Not right, wrong.

Me and Nate have been fighting like no other, like cats and dogs.

We haven't even slept together in the same bed for this whole week, Nate has been sleeping on the couch.

I can honestly say I've cried myself to sleep every night, caused from regrets and missing the way Nate and I use to be.

A vase downstairs in the hallway remains in shattered pieces on the floor from our last fight, which was yesterday, and he picked it up and threw it.

He claimed that I stole money out of his wallet, but I never did.

I lay in our cold bed, watching as life goes by through the big window on the other side of the room. It's been raining for two days straight, which made me feel more depressed.

I hear a few little knocks at the door, and I look over to see Dylan peeping in with a smile on his face.

"Mom?" He said rather quietly.

It gives me chills when he calls me mom. I have never been called mom or been considered a mother until now.

But it's quite sad that his first week being home with me and Nate hasn't been the brightest or best, considering all we've done is fight.

I lean up from my original position, and lay my back on the headboard.

"Yes, Dylan?"

He walks in slowly, closing the wooden door behind him.

"I've been thinking..."

He shoves his hands down his pockets and rubs the tip of his shoes together.

"Is there anything I could do, to help you and dad cool out and be happy again?"

I felt a bit of warmness in my heart, at the fact he wants to help me and Nate be happy again. But the last thing I want to do is to drag Dylan into our fights.

I want Dylan to be happy.

I want Dylan to live a good life.

"That's sweet, Dylan, but I don't want to drag you into our fights, it's best if we just continue to do what we are doing now."

He shrugs his shoulders, and I get up from the bed, and walk over to Dylan to hug him.

"It will be okay, I promise." I say in a low tone.

He giggles at me, then follows me as I walk out of the bedroom to go downstairs to the kitchen.

Nate sits on the couch in the living room, watching a re-run of Hey Arnold!, with several vodka bottles spreaded around the room.

Once I notice the vodka bottles, I become worried then walk over to him.

"Nate, why have you been drinking? It's bad for your health!" I say, as I pick up some of the bottles to throw them away.

He rolls his eyes, and gets up from the couch.

"And here's comes the nagging, once again." He puffs and walks into the kitchen towards the fridge.

I follow him in there, and put the bottles I picked up in the trash can carefully, then pay attention to Nate.

He pulls out another bottle of Vodka from the fridge, and begins to open it.