[7] Dylan

Kennedy Fain

Within the week's time between now and last Friday, Nate and I spent a lot of time in preparing a room for Dylan.

I can't stop smiling, it's just a really exciting moment for me.

I'm so intrigued by all the questions I'm asking to myself in my head, my curiosity will never end.

What is his personality like? What will he think of us? Does he already know what we look like?

I thought a good color for the walls of Dylan's room would be gray, but Nate insisted on royal blue, because he says it looks like Dylan, he is basing this upon the picture we saw at the adoption office during our first office visit.

Which exactly isn't the best thing to do, but he seems to "know" what he's doing.

Even though I'm all excited about this, I feel like Nate only said yes to this whole plan was because he felt bad about me not being able to have children.

I never even told him I couldn't have children, which was also a bad move, considering he didn't use a condom during our first intercourse.

If I was him, I would of wondered why.

Was it that obvious that I'm not able?

I use to be afraid to tell him, in doubt of him loving me afterwards.

I mean, even though we've been together for so long, anything could happen.

As a little girl, I use to listen to my older aunts tell me about their love stories.

"Aunt Kaye, can you tell me that one story again?" I ask in excitement and intrigue.

She shook her head at me while smiling. "Yes, Kennedy. I will tell you that story again. But this is the last time today, alright?"

I nodded my head nonchantly, not really caring, I was just dying to hear the story.

"When I was only sixteen years old, I thought I couldn't find true love.

I thought I would be one of those girls who wouldn't find their true love, and live alone forever.

All the boys never looked at me in school, they rather made fun of the way I looked. They would always give me a hard time over my appearance.

Then your grandmother Pearl, had us move to a different city, which meant I would change schools.

I was excited, thinking I would have a chance to start all over again, begin fresh, find new people to talk to and be friends with.

However, I was nervous as well, just as anyone else would be, moving to a new city."

"What were the guys there like, aunt Kaye?"

"Nicer, sweeter. More gentleman. It made me happy. Of course there's always that silly drama, just like anywhere else, but it was still amazing. It's where I met your uncle Bryan."

We both looked over to the hallway where Uncle Bryan stood, examining hung up framed pictures of different family relatives. He had no idea we were talking about him.

"He stood out in the crowds, he was the nicest, the sweetest, the most gentle, and most importantly, the most loving."

I always wanted my love story to end up like hers, perfect and never ending. I got exactly what I've always wanted, a man who loves me for who I am.

And now, I am going to have a child.
A child that will be claimed as mine.

The clock downstairs struck noon, and that meant it was an hour until me and Nate had to pick up Dylan.