Chapter One : A heart's whisper

Abu Sa'id Al-Khudri (May Allah be pleased with him) reported:

Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said, "Whoever amongst you sees an evil, he must change it with his hand; if he is unable to do so, then with his tongue; and if he is unable to do so, then with his heart; and that is the weakest form of Faith".

[Muslim].

Chapter one:

A heart's whisper.

I woke up from a restless sleep due to the rough waves to glimpse at the glowing and radiant sun peaking above the horizon out of my window. It extended its vivid light across the deep crimson sky. Its dazzling and inviting rays flowed through the window providing warmth to my body. Slowly the fatigue of the long journey was seeping out of me as the welcoming rays trickled in to replacing my unrest - it relaxed my body. Eventually I got out of bed and stumbled across to the other side of the cabin as my drowsiness had still not left me.

I had come home after months and the journey was really torturous. The chugging of the train still alive in my ears and the moving trees,it was an experience I hated especially due to the motion sickness that worsened my case. I took a warm shower,dressed in a gray dress. My hair was in a complete mess thanks to my mom who had massaged my head with lots of oil.

"You need a massage. Your hair looks so dry." That's what she always said. I combed my hair and dashed to the dining table. It wasn't early but a Sunday morning was the best thing after a long tiresome journey.

Looking at the empty table,I poured tea into my cup and sipped as my eyes searched for the rest of the family.

"Khaala look at my dress." Little Samya said raising her frock.

"How many times did I tell you not to call me khaala. Call me by my name. Jannat. Just Jannat." I said carrying her in my arms.

I hated the name she used to call me. I didn't look like an aunt. When I imagined myself as an aunt only one image came in my mind. Those desi aunties. That's why I hated being called an aunt. Besides,I was too young to be called an aunt.

She kissed my cheek and gave me a cute smile. "Okay Jaan." She said covering her mouth with her small hands.

"Now that's like my princess." I said putting her down. I saw my sister coming towards us. She was six months pregnant and the last time I saw her it was two years ago. There was so much to talk about and the most important one was how much I truly missed her.

"Tamanna I missed you more than words can say. Oh my sister." I said giving her a tight hug. She looked at me as a tear escaped her eye. Thanks to the mood swings that were making her emotional at the moment otherwise during her pregnancy she would either be eating or complaining.

We talked for a couple of hours before my best friends made their entry. "Welcome back sweetheart. We missed you a great deal!" Nasim said patting my back.

"Back off lady,it's my turn." Zara said grinning sheepishly. We had a tight hug and as friends we all had our outings together. It was after a long time we were meeting. The university was not a barrier as much I thought it would be. We usually had our group through What's app. However when it came to being with friends hand in hand,the feeling was just awesome.

Zara was my best friend who I had met with ten years ago when we were all kids and she was part of the Syrian immigrants. Her parents were killed in the brutal war and she found her way to India through miraculous means. Since then my parents took the responsibility of bringing her up and she was nothing less than a sister.

***

"Cmon bookworm. Keep that book away from me. We are here to chill." Meera,one of friends said. She didn't like the smell of books especially my books since they dealt with what she termed as brain monster - medicine.

My girl gang comprised of four girls apart from me. We had come to a new ice cream parlour which was getting famous at the time being.

"You nerdy woman. Now forget about studies. You need to relax. How I wish I was that book and all the attention would be on me." Iram said winking. This girl was the most cheesy one. What she always thought of was marriage,kids and shopping. When it came to her so called 'spouse' to be a long list of requirements was needed.

The feeling of being back at my home town was just so nostalgic. Memories of my childhood as I tortured our neighbours,my school and all the small memories had a great impact on me.

"Let's walk down this hill," Nasim suggested as Zara grabbed my book and shoved it in her sling bag. These girls, they were such a pain sometimes.

Just after exiting from the parlour,a group of six boys blocked our path. They seemed like hooligans. I personally didn't like their mode of dressing especially the trousers they wore and the bands on their hands. It was just pathetic.

"Do you mind company, girls?" One of them suggested.
Nasim rolled her eyes and walked towards them bravely. She hated such boys and her blood boiled when such incidents happened.

"Look. Get out of our way please." She said sternly. She was very serious and I could see her hands moulding to fists.

"Such beauties with no one. You look so incomplete." One of them said smirking while he folded his arms. These guys were just horrible. Zara and Iram were as scared as cats.

"Excuse me,let the ladies have their way. You need to be ashamed of yourselves. Men are the keepers of women and such men like you are a disgrace to the society. Don't make me raise my hands,or else the consequences will be really bad." A bold voice was heard from the back. I raised my eyes to see who it was.

He was just a random guy from the town. His dark eyes together with his thick eyebrows and the thick muscles on his arms would just scare anyone. He looked strong. Before my eyes made a complete journey on his physique I lowered my gaze as the haraam police in me started lecturing me.

The bunch of loafers went away without looking behind and thanks to the guy we made our way out of the place.

"Thank you so much." Nasim said making her way out. I was the only one left since all girls had gone out. "Jazakallah kheyr." I whispered gently.

He replied back,"waantum fajazakamullah kheyr"
It was very unusual to hear people replying back with the appropriate answer but his reply had left a smile on my face.

I walked out of the parlour listening to the girls' rant. "Well if the guy didn't come on time, I swear I would have taught those cheapskates a lesson." Nasim huffed.

She was extremely angry but at the moment,the best thing was that we made our way out of the place.

Just away from these rants my heart found its escape into the imaginary world as every bit of the incident played in my head.

"And if I would give someone the key to my happiness, it would be a man who respects and values a woman." I whispered to myself.

_________________________________

Assalaam aleikum lovely people. Have a blessed eid with all your loved ones. It's been a great time since I interacted with you guys.

Remember to vote
Comment💬 and
Share🔁