Good Job, Dumbass

(Nico's Point of View )

One month ago -

She slammed the door when she left, leaving me once again by myself. ' It was a mistake.' My own words repeated in my mind, nagging me till my head hurt. She was crying when she left, that's where the pathetic sounds came from. I sighed, sitting down on my bed and burying my face in my hands. ' Good job,Dumbass...you finally grow up and kiss the girl you like, then you go and break her heart.' I didnt mean anything I said, honest. The problem is, after summer we are headed in opposite directions. I cant stay that close to her till summer ends, I'll fall harder for her until I am unable to let her go. And if that happens, when it is finally time for us to split up, Im afraid I wont be able to. It's better now if I just put the distance between us, even if it means she'll hate me.

I could faintly hear a conversation being held outside the cabin door. It didnt last long and once it seemed to end, someone knocked on the door. "Come in." For almost half a second I thought it was Y/n, but common sense told me that she is too smart to turn around that quickly. Instead of Y/n, Will entered the cabin. He looked disappointed as he walked over and sat beside me on my bed. "What?"

" Why'd you let her go? " he asked, disappointment and confusion laced in his words. I had told Will the week after we came had come back from camping why I ad waned to leave. He was the only person, as my best friend, who knew about my interest towards Y/n.

" I cant keep her forever, so I shouldnt pretend like I can." I muttered, staring down at my feet. I could see Will shake his head from the corner of my eye.

" You could try. " He started. I looked up at him, confused by what he meant. He seemed to acknowledge my confusion, so he continued. " You could keep in touch with her until college is over; meet up with her in the summers. You could try to keep her forever...or not." he finished. I glanced down at my feet as he sighed and stood up. But right before he left the cabin, he looked back at me, " If I truly loved a girl like you say you do, I wouldnt give her up so easily. But hey, thats just me." and with tat, he left.

I stared at my phone for about a hour, just hesitating to call her. My thumb hovered over the small green button. ' Just do it. Will is right...she's too important to lose.' I convinced myself. I quickly pressed the call button before holding the phone up to my ear. It rang multiple times before buzzing. The automated voice in my phone was the only response I got.

" Im sorry, but the number you have called seems to be busy. Please try again later."

 Day Before The Party -

It's been a month since I have seen Y/n. I miss her a lot and she is the only thing that is constantly on my mind. I've tried to fix what I said, but I cant seem to get to her. No matter how many times I call er, she never answers. Ever. Will said that he doesnt have her number, so I cant even cal her using his phone. My last resort, which probably should have been my first, is my brother. I sat on the steps outside my cabin door and dialed Percy's number. Unlike Y/n, he did pick up.

"Hey Nico, you okay?" were the first words my brother asked. Normally, I would tell him I was fine, but realistically I felt everything but.

" Uh no, not really. Y/n wont answer the phone when I call her."

" If you were her, would you?"

I sighed, " Percy, I told you why I said what I did. I want to fix this, please hep me." I honestly felt on the verge of tears, which isnt that common for me.

" I know why but still..." he paused," You want to fix it? "

"Yeah...I really do , but I cant get to her."

" Nico, I'll help you but I need an answer first. Y/n is really important to me. She's my best friend, so her being upset makes me unhappy. I need a solid answer from you, if I help you, are you going to hurt her again? Because if you really dont love her, Im not letting her go through that again."

I felt tears running down my cheeks as I listened to Percy. I didnt want to hurt her, that wasnt something that I wanted to do. I falsely thought that putting distance between her and I was my only option. I took a deep breath to compose myself, " I fucked up when I hurt her. I never meant to upset her, I promise. I love her a lot, Percy. Thats why I need your help. I have to have her back. I wont and dont want to love anyone like I do her. Please...you've got to help me fix this." It was quiet for a second and I pulled the phone slightly away from my ear to see if he had hung up. No, he was still there, he just was almost deadly quiet for about a minute.

" You're an idiot for what you did, but I'm going to help you. I believe what you said. So how can I be of assistance?" I sighed in relief before asking him to pick me up. I assumed that if Y/n wont answer me over the phone, I'll just have to talk to her in person. Percy told me that he would leave early in the morning so that we would make it back in time for Annabeth and Y/n's party.

I didnt sleep well at all last night. My mind raced with way too many ideas of how my conversation with Y/n could end. Even the car ride back home was unenjoyable because the closer we got to our city, the more anxious I felt. Percy stopped by a gas station about ten minutes from our house. 

"We need gas and you need to do something." he said before handing me his phone. " Call Y/n and see if she answers. She's been trying to call me. I'm sure I have worried her, so when she answers use the fact that you know that I am okay as an excuse to keep her from immediately hanging up." I chuckled lightly at how sly my brother's thinking was. " What?"

" Nothing, just didnt know you were so crafty." I commented and he rolled his eyes.

" I just know how she will act when she is worried. She'll care more about my well being then your stupidity." he said.

I nodded in agreement before a thought struck me, " What if she doesnt answer?"

" Thats what voicemail is for, Dumbass." Percy said before tapping my forehead. " Please try and at least act smarter then you are. " I watched as Percy got out of the car before calling Y/n. The phone rang and each time it did, my heart beat faster. I admit I felt like I was about to have a panic attack. What if I stutter and she hangs up before I can even use Percy's excuse? 

Sadly, yet my somewhat of my relief, she didnt answer, so I left a voicemail. " Y/n? Hey it's Nico...we need to...no...can we talk?"