The Idea Struck Like Lightning

You hesitantly started reaching for the phone until Annabeth came running down the stairs.  Her sudden appearance startled you. Quickly, you grabbed your phone and shoved it in your back pocket. Annabeth huriedly barged in the kitchen in a pair of highwaisted jean shorts, a white t, and a cargo jacket matched with tan sandals. She took a deep breath before posing in the door frame.

" How do I look?" she asked, gesturing to her outfit. She looked out of breath from nearly falling down the stairs, but you knew that wasnt what she was referring to.

You just rolled your eyes, " You tried this same outfit on twice already." you commented but Ann shook her head.

" This shirt is different." Annabeth pointed to the shirt as if it really was different, but you could've swore you've seen her wear it already.

"Whatever, we'll be late if you decide on changing again. So lets go."  You said, not wanting to waste any more time on the Chase Runway. Annabeth shook her head before heading towards the door. You could feel your phone buzz from a text in your pocket, but cautious about answering Nico, you ignored it.

Being late to your own party is pretty embarrassing; but Annabeth just told you that it was your birthday, so if any day of the year you could be late, it was today. Besides being nearly twenty minutes late, everything else seemed to be running smoothly. Annabeth and you greeted each person who came inside and once almost every one was there, catering arrived. The cake was already there ,but you two both agreed you would wait till the end of the night to eat that and open gifts. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Well almost everyone was having a good time; you were too nervous about Percy not being there to have fun. You couldnt call him in fear that Nico would pick up and that the two of you would be stuck in a long pause of awkward silence. So instead of trying your luck with a phone call, you relied on the gut feeling that Percy wouldnt miss your birthday. 

The party had been going for about two hours when the sun started to set. You were anxiously waiting near the pool when someone covered you eyes from behind. You were about to elbow them in the stomach when you heard a familiar voice.

"I really need my ribs, so please dont hit me." Percy quickly said. You grabbed his hands from your face before spinning around. He could have fallen into the pool if he hadnt caught you when you bear hugged him. After you nearly choked him in a hug, you pulled away from him before slapping him in he face. Percy rubbed his jaw and cheek where you slapped him, " What did I do to deserve that?" 

" You wouldnt answer a single call of mine. I should break a rib of yours." you answered, glaring at him. Percy nodded his head like he agreed, whcih in return made you roll your eyes. " Whatever, just dont do it again."

" Yes ma'am." he sarcastically said. You both smiled at each other till something seemed to catch his attention behind you. You followed his blank stare and saw the one person you didnt invite. You turned around to face Percy again and gave him a look as if to say 'Explain.' Percy sighed before firmly holding your shoulders. " I need you to go talk to him." he said and you shook your head.

" No way. Not happening. Jackson, he's a total ass." you knew Percy was aware of how mad at Nico you were. It was even clear in your voice that Nico was the last person you wanted to see.

" I know what my brother said was injurious, but please Y/n. He called me to come bring him back home for you. Will you talk to him one more time, just for me?" Percy begged. You wanted nothing more then to jerk away and tell him no, but the sincerity in his voice forced you. You closed your eyes, taking a deep breath before lightly shrugging his hands from your shoulders.

" Fine. " You gave in and Percy smiled, but quickly you added," But if he does something stupid again or says something that I dont like, I will drown him." you hissed and Percy bit his lip nervously before nodding.

You turned in the direction of Nico and started walking towards him. While everyone else was dressed for the pool or in common summer attire, Nico looked like he had been preparing more for the fall. His hair was hanging loosely in his face, untamed and swaying in the slightest way with the light breeze. He wore his typical black jeans,a dark grey shirt under a aviator jacket, and black Docs.  He didnt seem to notice you as you walked his way, but instead intently watched the water in the pool. He looked anxious when you walked up to him; his gaze glued to the crystal water. "Hey." you said quitly. Immediately he snapped out of it, backing slowly up from the water and blinking multiple times before looking at you. He smiled weakly when his eyes met yours.

He cleared his throat," Hi..."

"What did you want? I told Percy I would listen." you said. He sighed in relief but you didnt say everything you wanted yet, " But your time is limited...and it will decrease drastically depending on what you say." Nico seemed to choke on what you said but fastly recovered, nodding in response. " Begin."

Nico glanced around before his gaze landed on the gazebo to your right. He gestured his hand to it and you silently followed him. No one else was in the yard around the gazebo and it was a good fifty feet from the rest of the party. Once your both were standing in the gazebo, Nico took a deep breath prier to speaking.

" Wow I have a lot to say." you heard him mutter to himself as he ran his fingers lightly through his hair. He glanced from his current stare at the floor to you. "Okay. I was and am an idiot." he started and you scoffed.

" No shit Sherlock."

" Yeah guess that was obvious... uh anyway. Y/n... you're really addictive you know that right?" his words cut you off gaurd. He looked up at the ceiling of the small structure before continuing. " You used to hang out around Percy a lot at our house when you were younger. You guys always seemed like the closest people on earth and it made me really jealous, not just because I lacked friends outside of my family but because he had what I knew I could never have. Your attention." By this point Nico had awkwardly shuffled his feet which made his side face you, leaving him to tilt his head to the side when he watched you. " From the day I met you, you were something really different that I had never seen before. This- like ball of magnetic something- that I just wanted to be around, but didnt have the guts to say anything. So in return, I ignored what I thought I could never have. When we went camping," again his attention returned to the ceiling, " you seemed genuinly interested in my company. It was strange and addictive and when the trip ended, I realised that... even if I took that chance right there and told you I wanted you...I'd only have you for the summer, because you would find someone you'd love more in college. So I tried again to ignore you...but this time, it didnt work. Will made a really good point and it helped me determine something." Nico turned towards you and intensely stared into your eyes, he walked closer till you two were about two feet apart. " You're my drug and I'm an addict. You're the one addiction that I refuse to give up. Everything I said before was out of stupidity and I am begging you," he gently grabbed your hands, pulling you within a foot's distance. Too off guard to pull away, you focused on his words," forgive me. Im a dumbass but Im really trying to fix this. Dont make me lose you...I cant always be a loser...at least not at this."

You felt frozen. Your mind didnt seem to function as your lips remained motionless and wordless. Nico's strong focus on your eyes made it harder for you to even come up with a fake cough or an 'uh' to break the thick overhanging silence.  The still quiet hung between you two to the point that you could hear his breathing in front of you. " Please say something, Y/n." he softly pleaded. His voice laced with sincerity and his face looked struck with anticipation and worry. What was he afraid of? Rejection? Well you certainly knew how that felt. Or maybe he was afraid of something else.

"I..." and within seconds, you made up your mind on what you were going to say; the decision struck you like lightning.