Experiment 692

This one is a original book I started writing. There's a chance I might come back to it, but it's not likely. Sorry I never made a cover for this one. Tell me what you think.

I stood outside my truck, waiting for the gas pump to finish. A blast a wind hit me and I shivered. "I'm miss Texas already. Why do you have to live in Ohio!" I yelled the last part at no one. Mentally hoping Uncle Zach heard me.

"Steel to my tremblin' lips. How did the night ever get like this? One sho-" I cut off Adam Lambert as I answered my phone. "Hello?"

"Hey! How's my Winter Storm holding on?"  I sighed. "Why can't you ever say my name. It's Ashley. Ash-Lee." I said sounding it out for him. My uncle laughed as I put the pump back and paid for the gas.

"Cause then I wouldn't get to see you irritated." I glared at the phone, putting it on speaker as I hopped in my truck, hitting the road again. "If looks could kill through the phone, there would be nothing but ashes left of you." He laughed.

"Well how far away are you? 'Cause the stews nearly finished." I smirked. "Ten minutes."

I grabbed my duffle from the backseat, and walked up the the door. My house. After my parents died in a car crash when I was ten, I was forced to come live with Uncle Zack. Don't get me wrong, he spoiled me to death, help me when I was hurt, helped me with school, and he never ceased to make me feel loved. But it was never that motherly love, the one thing I needed.

Opening the door, I was met with the best cat in world. "LION!" I picked up the adorable feline, dropping my duffle bag. "Welcome home!" Zack shouted. I walked towards the kitchen where he was stirring a big pot of beef stew.

"Yum. Is it done yet?" I asked. He nodded, Lion sniffed the stew from my arms. "Let's sit down and eat. Here's a bowl."

I sat down at the table. Lion hopped up on the chair next to me. "So how's Texas? How's college?" I sighed, taking a bite. "It's hot. And A&M is awesome. Lots of great people there. My teachers are mostly cool. Theres a few that suck, but for the most part, I'm having fun."

"That's great. I'm happy for you." I walked over to him. "Come on Uncle Zack! Please! I could really use the experience! Just seeing the stuff inside, knowing a little bit of what it's like, that's enough to help me get a little bit of hands on. So please!" I begged. At this point I was on my knees. Begging to my Uncle, who worked at the huge science facility, STGR. Sciences Technology of Genetic Reasearch.

I was majoring in genetics at Texas A&M, and my dream job, was doing exactly what my uncle was doing now. I'd asked him many times over the phone. He said no. "I told you I can't ask my boss that." I sighed. Time for plan 'B'.

"I'm sorry. I just can't do that kind of thing." He stood up, heading for the kitchen. An idea popped up in my head. His phone laying on the table. I grabbed it. Searching through his contacts. I found it. Immediately hitting call.

"What are you doing Ashley?" I held up my finger just as the phone picked up. "Hello Zack. What can I do?" I smiled. "Hi, is this David Grave, Zack Oaks boss and head of STGR?" I asked. My uncles eyes widened. He reached for the phone. "Yes this is who is this? An how did you get the phone number." I moved out of his reach.

"This is his niece, Ashley Oak. I'm currently a college freshman at Texas A&M. Majoring in Genetics. I was wondering if it was possible, while I was up here in Ohio with him, if I could come look around? My dream job is doing the exact same thing as my uncle. And if you say 'no', please don't blame Zach, he had no idea I was doing this." I said. There was a small chuckle from the other side. Zack was now starting intently at his phone trying to listen.