Chapter 9: Survival

The bear advanced forward while Akatsuki stood still. She had remembered someone once saying,

"If you ever come face to face with a bear, stay still and keep calm.."

That's what Akatsuki did. She regulated her breathing and didn't dare to move. The bear however kept coming closer and soon was close enough to loom over the frightened girl.

Unexpectedly, the black bear swiped at the redhead.

"However in your case, that hair of yours will attract the beast so....RUN."

Akatsuki winced at the stinging pain she felt in her left arm. She had barley dodged the attack and wasn't sure if she could dodge the next. With the handmade spear still at hand, Akatsuki ran. She ran as fast as she could however it wasn't fast enough. After 100 meters Akatsuki rapidly began to slow down. She couldn't breath and went into a coughing fit.

"Damn it." She cursed.

Unable to run, the pallid looking girl held up her spear and prepared to fight. The bear snapped at her and when it did, using the spear, Akatsuki stabbed its eye.

The bear let out a indescribable sound of pain. Its head thrashed about trying to get the spear out. Akatsuki still holding onto the spear was thrown all over the place. The bear passed a paw over its injured eye, breaking the spear and dropping the flame headed girl.

The bear continued to aimlessly claw about, trying to get the remainder of the spear out its eye. Seeing this as a golden opportunity, Akatsuki got away.

Currently she was holding onto a tree for support. She tore off piece of her clothes' and wrapped it around her arm in a attempt to stop the bleeding. Akatsuki's vision blurred and she continued to cough. She needed her medicine but there was no way to get it.

The ill child never expected to be spending the night in the forest so she didn't bring any. That was her mistake.

Here legs gave up from under her and she crumbled to the ground. The moment her head touched the dirt floor, she blacked out.

'Shirayuki...'

Don Don Dooooonnnnnnn~

The bear didn't kill our main protagonEist, but her sickness will... maybe. That's all I can say.

Until the next chapter
~Nyah~