Chapter Nine- The Cellar

i hate fireworks so i spent literally all day writing chapters for each book (except i didn't get to finish Lycan's chapter) so happy 4th of july everyone

Not Edited

---

Josie stood uncomfortably in the dining room. There was an empty seat for Alora's mate, Josie's grandfather. For an unknown reason, he did not come down for dinner.

Josephine moved her food around her plate nervously. Cosette acted as if she didn't just warn the girl of her impending doom. Her heart was pounding, thumping. Her heart was banging, booming. Sweat was beginning to dew on her forehead as paranoia began to eat at her.

Merryweather Rose stood up from her seat and lightly tapped her champaign glass with her fork.  "I'd first like to thank the Bluebells for hosting such a lovely dinner this evening. I'd also like to welcome Ms. Josephine. However, dinner is not the only reason we've come tonight." 

Cosette and Josie shared a look across the table.

"We have received word from the magistrate. It is just wonderful news," Merryweather sounded angry and bitter. "It seems as though- well, you should just read this for yourselves."

Alora gave Merryweather a look and grabbed the scroll. Reading it aloud clearly she read, "To the House of Rose. With all your everlasting thorns I swear your pedal is far sweet enough to tempt. I must regret the Bluebell is far safer to smell and makes for a prettier bouquet. As the flower had tempted me, the pedal is rightfully meant for my son, from Your King. What is this Merryweather? Do explain."

"It seems the King has ended the engagement between my Cosette and will be sending word that your Josephine will be the next to wed the royalty." Merryweather sniffed and looked at Alora down the slope of her nose. "It seems you finally got what you want. You lost it with your daughter, but redeemed it with your grand."

Josephine watched Alora's face carefully. Rather than looking ecstatic she looked concerned, alarmed, upset. "When did you receive this?"

"Only a day or two ago. Poor Cosette has been inconsolable." Merryweather said and Josie glanced at the other female who's facial expression didn't change. Cosette was a good actress, Josie just didn't know who was the liar.

Oh god, how uncomplicated life had been with Sinclair. Her biggest issue was a man that loved her unconditionally. Did Sinclair love her? He barely knew her, but the way he acted... Josie's eyes grew wet as her heart felt hollow and her chest completely empty. She just wanted Sinclair, but she needed her father. Could she get her father out safely with Cosette?

Biting her lip, Josie cleared her throat and rose, "Please excuse me."

Josie rushed out of the room feeling faint. Too many things to do.

Passing the bathroom Josie lifted her heels and rushed down the steps. With the unknowing help of Evangeline Josie learned the layout of the mansion for the most part. She knew where the 'basement' was and Josie was sure if her father was anywhere he'd be there. And she was positive it was far more than just a common basement.

Rushing past a window, Josie jumped and almost let out a shriek at the writing. She placed her hand on her knees and blew out a breath.

Josephine, stop.

"Sin..." Josie sighed and shook her head. "I have to get my dad."

Josephine, it's too dangerous. I will get him. 

"I'm so close, Sin. I need my dad and I haven't got time to wait. Apparently, I'm engaged to the Fey Prince. This is life or death now Sin, Cosette Rose, do you know her?" Josie asked as she glanced at the mirror.