Chapter Thirteen- Josephine, a Martyr

Josie got absolutely no where with the girl. Josie had a plan to extract information from her, but Josie could see how petrified the poor thing was and that plan flew out the window. Instead, Josie just sat with her in utter silence and watched television. By the end of their two hour session the little thing had fallen asleep and Josie had tucked her in. Sinclair had stopped by briefly to ask how it had gone.

"She's still not talking, but I tucked in her for a nap. She's exhausted and scared, it's best if a familiar face checks in on her every day," Josie shrugged and Sinclair looked slightly disheartened. Nodding, he rose.

"I've got a meeting with the Russian Alpha," Sinclair said and kissed her cheek.

 "Wait!" Josie shouted in panic, "Can you spend the day with me? Please. I haven't seen you all day and... just please."

This could be her last day, she just wanted to spend it with him. Fear and nerves gnawed at her stomach and she began to overthink everything. What should her possible last words be to him? 

"I need Alpha Aleksandr on our side," Sinclair said. "He's the only Alpha that is not actively searching for the Rogues."

"Sinclair please-"

"My little doe, I'll hurry. What if I sent Fin up here?" Sinclair offered and Josie's shoulders dropped.

"I don't want Fin, I want you. Please." Josephine pleaded and brought his hand to her lips for a small kiss. "Please, Sinclair, can't we just spend the day together? Please, Sinclair, please please please?"

Sinclair lifted her to his arms and held her close to his chest, "Once Maximus is found we have eternity to spend together."

No we don't. 

Josie buried her face into his shoulder and inhaled his scent as best she could. She closed her eyes and let Sinclair hold her before pulling back. Cupping his face, Josie pressed his lips against him.

The feeling of her had Sinclair's cock jerking upright. Her lips were soft, but secretive. She was hiding something. This kiss was too passionate to just be a kiss. Their heavy breathing filled the room as his hands cupped her pert ass and she pressed herself harder against him.

As much as it pained him Sinclair pulled back, "What be the matter little doe?"

Had his accent ever been so thick? Josie couldn't tell, she just covered her mournful face with a small smile and lied, "Nothing. I just really miss you." 

Sinclair stared into her eyes intently as she averted his gaze. Looking out the window Josie casually, she thought to herself, Geez, it's like he could smell something was up. I want to tell you, I do.

Josie smiled softly and kissed his cheek, "I'm fine. Go to the Russian Alpha and just come back to me when you're done." 

Sinclair sighed and nodded. He pressed his lips to her forehead before striding out. Josie's eye welled with tears. This may as well be the last time she saw her mate. Should she write him a note? That seemed wise, if the exchange for her father wasn't honored then he could at least know where she went.

Walking towards the window Josie watched as Sinclair departed. The clouds, grey and melancholy, blocked out the sun. The packhouse looked bleak and unbecoming in the new light.

 Her hand pressed against the window and she couldn't help the sunken feeling in her chest. Would that be the last time she saw her beloved Sinclair? Without telling him she loved him? Regret flashed inside her as she pressed her forehead against the window.

As expected Sinclair had called to inform Josie he would have to wish her goodnight from Russia. Writing a letter, Josie left it folded under their pillow. It was getting colder as summer turned to autumn. Grabbing an oversized dark blue sweatshirt she slid it over the tank top she wore. A pair of baggy jeans and converse made Josie completely prepared for the track through the woods.