Chapter Twenty-Two- The Run and the Ritual

The feast was plentiful, the food delicious, and the atmosphere exciting. Meats, fruits, desserts, breads, side dishes, they all filled tables and tables. Josie offered a bite of a deviled potato. Sinclair leaned in and took a bite before kissing her lips softly.

Neither Josie nor Sinclair could stay focused on the food as they tried to not think about the fact in just a few moments Josie would be running through the forest and Sinclair would be hunting her.

As the night neared Josie grabbed Boone's hand and looked up at the Beta. "Were you able to accomplish what I asked?"

"Aye, Luna," He said with a smile.

"Thanks Boone," She grinned and Sinclair rose. Everyone rose too. The orange sun had set and Josie knew the Ritual would start soon and she felt like jumping up and down with excitement.

Everyone made their way to the back of the pack house where a pathway of candles to the forest. The winds were wild, but the blanket was wrapped around her and Josie didn't even feel a breeze.

It was beautiful and romantic everyone stopped before the pathway.

"When the sun settles behind the tree line, run." Sinclair whispered into her ear and Josie felt adrenaline spike into her system.

"How long before you chase after me?"

"I give you a fifteen minute head start... and from there you must remain hidden for three hours." He said and Josie groaned.

"Three hours," She huffed. "I can do this."

"Josephine it's okay if I do find you... it's just a superstition." He said and Josie placed her finger on his lips.

"Hush," She shook her head. "I don't like losing and I'm very superstitious so I'm going to kick ass and you are not going to find me."

Sinclair smirked, "That's my little feyling."

Josie turned over her shoulder as the sun touched the treetops. Any second now. The sun suddenly dipped own below and Josie didn't want a second before she took off running. She bounded over rocks, twigs, and branches with the speed only a Fey could have.

Once she broke through the tree line she found the clothes she had asked Boone to plant. He'd left her clothing that smelled like a wildlife and planted her clothing throughout the forrest to throw off Sinclair. He would have eight different scents to follow and that would hopefully would buy her time to put some serious distance between them.

Josie sprinted gracefully, something that was extremely new for her. Both sprinting and doing anything gracefully.

She skid down a small hill stopped for a second to catch her breath. It was then that a loud roar echoed off the trees and Josie froze. Sinclair was on his way.

Josie's heart hammered in her chest, with slight fear but mainly anticipation. She took off again and began to zig zag her trail. She got to a river that was not frozen yet, there were blocks of ice, but nothing to support her weight.

Josie remembered Sinclair telling her about her newfound strength. She back used and used all the strength in her body to hump as a test run. Josie gasped when she jumped further than shed' expected. She could make it over the river.

Josie took a long running start and sprinted before vaulting over the rushing icy water. She did not know how to stop as she tumbled and spun as she collided with a tree.

"Ow," She groaned and rolled over. She let out a loud off and pulled her hair out of her face. Rubbing her bruised elbow Josie stood up sorely before limping on. Her leg healed quickly before she resumed her path. Glitter covered Josie's body and she thought about her lack of sweat. This was... awesome.