Chapter Fifteen- Time's Up

Very much not edited

Sorry for the late update guys! But I saw Thor Ragnarok four times since it came out and I was inspired by Loki's hotness. So thank him for this update. (And Hamilton because that musical is my newest obsession)

---

Sinclair stood in the middle of Cragh na Rorn with almost a hundred thousand men. They had arrived on the evening of day two and the place was deserted. Raziel, Aleksandr, and the others all set up camp while Sinclair watched the tops of the rock quarry for signs of Josephine. He kept sniffing for signs of Josephine. Anything to give him a clue that it was time to fight.

"When do you think they'll arrive?" Reggie asked as he stood beside Sinclair as the fires crackled from the campsites.

"It could be any moment from now throughout tomorrow."

The only sounds was that of chirping crickets. Even the men around the fires were silent as they ate their stew and awaited the, no doubt, difficult battle the next few hours would present them. The blood would cover the stone walls, the ground would be speckled with a gory carnage. Some would become mateless.

"Am I mad to assume my men should die for my mate?"

"It isn't simply your mate, Sinclair. It's a Luna. A divine being revered by the gods and worshipped by the people." Boone sighed and wiped is mouth, "Anyone here would willingly die for a Luna. Any Luna."

"Did you open the Labyrinth?" Sinclair did not let his eyes wander from the horizon. 

Boone nodded his head with a wary expression embedded in his eyes, "I did. He did not appear."

"He will. He never fails his people." 

The night passed slowly. The fire crackled an no one would add logs till the fire until embers were the only thing emitting heat or light. The crickets had stopped chirping as the purple sky turned an indigo with sunrise. 

The sky turned a dull grey as the clouds of a gloomy overcast took home overhead. There was still no sign of Maximus or Josephine. Sinclair had done nothing but stare throughout the night and well into the morning. Boone and Fin had exchanged words over the phone discussing the lack of movement in the Labyrinth. Boone knew that if there were as many Rogues as he thought then the odds of Sinclair winning were drastically slim.

"His time is running out," Boone stated as he stood beside Sinclair again. His Alpha looked pale and weary, bags hanging underneath his eyes.

"He'll be here, she'll be here. Soon."

Soon.

It was at midday when the first scent coasted over the hills and down the rocky pathway towards Sinclair. The scent was foreign, not Josie. But he could see the tops of the heads of thousands of Rogues as the rose over the horizon and stood at the very top of the hill like a reckoning.

Maximus split the crowd and his rotten stench masked everyone's. His red eyes were hallow. His hair was long and tied back neatly, not unkept like those of the other warriors. He held a knowing smile, like the cat that ate the canary.

As Maximus began the decent down the hill Sinclair's men all stood behind him in support and defense, ready to attack at any moment's notice. But there was no attack, not yet. Maximus stopped with a good couple of feet between them, enough distance that, if they were humans, they would have to yell.

"Alpha Sinclair," Maximus sneered violently. 

"Maximus. Where is Josephine?"

"You cut right to the chase, don't you? No 'hello, how are you'? No 'I'm sorry I killed your mate and children'? Just 'where is Josephine.' That's horribly rude of you." He said and Sinclair snarled, taking a step forward.