One Song, Two Voices

He looked at me expectantly, waiting I guess for my performance. 

"Play for me", he quietly asks. "I promise I'll be nice", he grins.

I look at the ground and then back to the guitar. What the hell. I start to play the chords to my latest song. One that I wrote on one of the many dark afternoon's in my room, rain belting against the window. Before I know it, I've finished.

I can't bare to look at Ed for fear that he hates the song and is holding back laughter. 

I sense him move, he gets another guitar.

"Tell me the first few chords Love", he pushes. I do and soon he is playin my song.

"Join in then", he says, "Don't leave me hanging by myself". A big smile appears on my face and I begin to play the chords too. Ed starts doing some fancy stuff that I have no idea how to do and then I start to sing. And then I realise Ed is singing. With me. Harmonising to my song. A song that he only just heard for the first time a few minutes ago. And it is the best freaking moment in my entire life. 

I find the courage to look at him and he smiles at me while he sings. The butterlies in my stomach grow another set of wings each and I can't help but smile back.

The songs ends again but his smile stays. 

"How many more songs do you have?" he asks.

"Umm about 10 at the moment but that one is my best". I reply honestly.

He nods, a thoughful look across his face.

"How would you like to be my support act for a few smaller, local gigs?"

"Get the hell out," I stammer and then laugh because Ed is laughing.

"Did you just tell me to get the hell out?" He throws his head back laughing even more when I try to apologise.

"I'm so sorry, I just, I don't know, I can't believe this"

"It's ok, it's cool, just stay calm" he smiels at me. "Let's just say, I'd really like to hear some more of your stuff. I'm doing some local gigs over the next few weeks, like tonight and I'm on the lookout for someone to do a few songs with me". 

I'm dying, I'm actually dying.

"Take this card, and call the number on it tomorrow. It's Stuart my manager and he can organise a get together, yeah? I'll tell him all about you", he winks at me.

I can't speak, I can't move and I can feel that blush heading straight back to my cheeks. I just nod and smile like an idiot as I take the card and try to focus my eyes enough to read it.

"So, don't forget, call Stuart tomorrow and we'll line all of this up".  He puts his guitar down and starts to lift the strap over my head to take the one I played back. Sparks again. 

He puts his hand on my back to help me jump down to the ground. The warmth seeping in as he doesn't remove it straight away after I land. He tilts his head and looks at me.

"You ok, Josie from Australia?" I giggle and nod. Not wanting any of this to end. 

Suddenly, he pulls me into a hug. The smell of him, the warmth of him, the way I can hear him breathe next to my ear. I feel like I could drown. And then he gently rubs my back as he pulls away. 

"Goodnight, Josie, talk to you soon, I love your song", he says and heads over to the small group of men that have now gathered near the front of the truck.