II

Sarabi Coleman
(Pronounced SAH-RAH-BEE)

Well you guessed it, Yunna drug my ass to this hotel after party. I've been quiet the whole car ride, I don't think y'all understand I just want some ice cream and a bed. While we were on the elevator Yunna stared at me.

"Come on Rabs, cheer up. You had fun at the concert and you're going to have fun here."

"Since when the hell you know Jodeci?" I said giving her the side eye. "I ain't never see them at no Sunday dinners, but you all buddy buddy."

"I grew up with Dal and De. They were my next door neighbors and you never asked me."

"I'm your best friend, I shouldn't have to ask if you know them." The elevator door opened and we walked off.

We got to for 715 and Yunna knocked. She looked at me and fixed my hair. "Be nice, try to enjoy yourself. Don't be giving nobody the stank eye."

"I don't give them the stank eye, that's just my damn face."

"Well smile then."

"Hell no, then I look crazy smiling the whole damn time." The door finally opened and we were greeted by a shirtless K-Ci. That boy got a bird chest, he needs to hit the gym.

"Well hello there ladies." I looked at him and tried my best to conceal my disgust.

"Hey K-Ci." Yunna said giving him a hug. I just stood there, I'm not a hugger, especially if I don't know you. He looked at me with a smile on his face. Boy please stop before I hurt your feelings. "K-Ci this is my best friend Sarabi. Sarabi you know K-Ci."

I nodded putting my hand out for him to shake. "Pleasure to meet you." 

He kissed my hand and when I tell you it took all the strength in my body and spirit for me not to slap him white.

"Pleasure is all mine gorgeous. Please, come in." He said opening the door wider.

The room was very nice, almost looked like a house. There were quite a few girls there dancing like they was getting some checks. While Yunna talked to everyone I sat down in the corner playing a Nintendo that was near by. I felt the seat by me indent and I turned my head to see JoJo next to me.

"You ain't gonna tear up the dance floor?" He asked taking a sip of his drink.

"Nah, this is not my scene. All I want right now is some food and a bed." I said yawning.

He chuckled. We sat in the corner and talked to each other for a good while. He became my new favorite person. I saw DeVante across the room talking to a couple guys. He looked over at me and smiled big. I chuckled and continued talking to JoJo.

Finally DeVante walked over when Computer Love started playing. He asked me to dance and Yunna said don't be rude, so I'm gonna do this lil dance. He was actually pretty fun to talk to. We were sitting down asking questions to get to know each other.

"So what's your parents like?" He asked looking over at me.

"My mom is a beautician back in Texas. My dad is currently facing a life sentence soo yeah."

"Well damn, what's he in for?"

"Murder, he was a serial killer basically. My mom and I never knew. I mean yeah my dad looks intimidating, but everyone in our town knew he was a sweetheart. So it was shock."

"When did he go in?"

"About 6 months ago. He's cool though, I visit him whenever I can and we always talk on the phone."

He nodded his head. "That's dope, so what brings you to New York?"

"Got a full ride scholarship to Juilliard."

His eyebrows rose up. "Damn, that's a big time school right there. What's your focus?"

"Mainly dance, but I do acting, singing, and writing as well."

"You seem to have a good head on your shoulders." He said looking me in my eye. "How old are you?"

"20 soon to be 21 in May, you?"

"I'll be 23 in September." I nodded my head. "You know if you're not busy sometimes, I'd like to get to know you."

I chuckled shaking my head. "Nah I'm okay. Besides my schedule for school doesn't allow it anyways. You seem like a nice person, but I'm not trying to lose focus of what's important and right now that's school. Also, I just got out of an engagement, I'm not in a place to try something new."

"I don't mind just being your friend."

I laughed at his persistence. "What makes you think I need more friends?"

"I mean I feel like we have things in common. We both love music, we're both introverts, and we both came to New York to accomplish our dreams."

I nodded. "So does every other person who comes to New York. You're in one of the hottest groups right now. The way your career is going even IF we were friends, you wouldn't have time. I enjoyed the conversation and the dance, but I'm going to head home." I said getting up.

"Wait Sarabi." He said touching my arm. I looked back at him pulling my arm away. "My bad, look I honestly just want to get to know you. I want to be in your life some type of way. If you give me a chance I'm sure you'll see I'm not a bad guy."

"If you truly want a chance, you'll figure it out." I patted his arm. "Goodnight DeVante. Yunna you ready?"

"Yes girl, but I can't drive." She said slurring her words. I chuckled grabbing her hand to leave. The car ride was peaceful because she was sleep most of the time. When we pulled up to my home I got Yunna out the car and laid her on the couch.

I took a hot shower and set my alarm for school tomorrow morning. I laid in bed and let my thoughts of DeVante turn off as I fell asleep.