V

DeVante Swing

"I don't know De. She's not budging, why don't you let it go?" Dal asked as we played the game.

"It's just something about her man. I can't get her off of my mind. The times when she actually opens up just draws me closer."

"Yeah, but obviously she's not at that point where she wants to let someone in."

"So that means give up? I'll just wait for her."

"Nigga, you're DeVante motherfucking Swing and you're going to wait on a girl who tells you to stop trying?" K-Ci asked looking at me like I was crazy.

"Shut up K-Ci. Look De, if you really care about her then I'm with you. Be her friend, just constantly be there. She's going to come around. She's just scared. You ain't hear it from me, but she said she does like you as a friend. She just doesn't hand that title out to easily." JoJo said sitting on the couch.

"How do you know these things?" Dalvin asked confused.

"She actually talks to me."

"She talks to you?"

"Yes nigga, the girl can actually speak when she wants to. She's cool as fuck and hilarious. She doesn't have a lot of male friends or friends in general and we just clicked."

"Well her ass need to be clicking to DeVante. Got him out here looking like a bitch." K-Ci said shaking his head.

"Nigga, shut yo ass up. Please, you talk too damn much." I said giving K-Ci the side eye.

"Damn somebody is mad about the truth." He mumbled walking away.

I just shook my head. "So you mean to tell me she gave you her number?" I asked Jo

"Yes, but I can't give it to you. That was rule number one. You're lucky I told you some of the stuff she told me about you."

"She told you more?"

"Yes, but it's not my business to tell. Just know to keep trying and be patient with her. She's going to come around eventually."

"You're obviously getting somewhere if she's talking about you to Jo." Dal said looking over at me. "Just keep smothering her."

I chuckled. "It's hard to do when she can disappear for weeks at a time."

"Oh please, half of the time she's always with Yunna, at home, or at school."

"SCHOOL! That's it, I can show up at her school. She also has this dance recital for the recreation center. I bought tickets from this little girl."

"When is it?"

I went to go look for the ticket. Once I found it I read the date. "Today at 7pm."

JoJo looked at his watch. "Well that gives us an hour and a half to get ready."

I nodded and went to go take a shower. I made sure to look for an outfit that was appropriate but still a little edgy. I put on my shades and checked my watch to see it was 6:30. Jo and Dal were ready, K-Ci had plans with Mary so he stayed back. We drove to the rec center and it was 6:52. We walked in and found a place to sit.

Soon the show started and I saw the little girl I met a couple weeks come out. She started her dance and soon others joined her on stage. I looked around for Sarabi and saw her peeking from behind the curtain at the girls.