VIII

Sarabi Coleman
(Pronounced SAH-RAH-BEE)

"I want you to meet my dad as well." I said to DeVante as he packed his bags.

He looked over at me confused. "The one in prison?"

"Duh De, I only have one dad."

"I mean I know that, I'm just.. shocked. I know how special he is to you. You didn't even let your ex fiancé meet him."

I shrugged. "Yeah well, you're special to me as well. I want you guys to meet, it's important that he knows who you are."

"He's not going to like.. Kill me is he? Like no offense, but I'm sure your dad has henchmen. What if he doesn't like me?" He grabbed his chest. "My life might be in danger. I don't know anyone in Texas."

"De calm down." I said chuckling. "My dad is a sweetheart."

"Baby wasn't it you who told me your dad has murdered over 300 people."

"I told you that in confidence. The law doesn't know. He's only charged for 27."

"I'm going to die." He shook his head. "I haven't even made love to you yet."

I grabbed him to look at me. "Hey. You have nothing to worry about. I've talked about you to him already. He's a fan of you guys music. Just be yourself, him and my mother are going to love you. You wanna know why?"

"Why?" He asked holding me by my waist.

"Because I love you." I said pecking his lips.

He looked at me in shocked and then smiled. "Say it again."

I blushed. "I love you DeVante."

He embraced me in a tight hug. "I love you too Sarabi. Always have and always will."

I smiled brightly and finished helping him pack. We loaded everything in the car and headed to the airport. De is meeting my family for the first time ever. What better occasion than Thanksgiving? I've talked to my parents about him and they can't wait to meet him. I know he's nervous to meet my dad, but he has nothing to worry about. DeVante is a good guy and he treats me like a queen so my dad will love him.

The whole airplane ride I slept while De stayed awake monitoring everything. He told me he has a fear of planes, but I wasn't driving from Manhattan to Houston. Once we landed we went to baggage claim and then to the car rental place. We loaded our bags in the car and drove to my childhood home.

"Damn Robbi, you was living good as hell

"Damn Robbi, you was living good as hell."

"Mom is a beautician and before daddy went to jail he was CFO of a bank. Come on, let's go inside." I said eagerly as I got some of our bags.

We got to the front door and I unlocked it. I looked around and wanted to cry because everything was just how it was when I went of to college. I miss home a lot, but I'm chasing my dream.