XIII

Sarabi Coleman
(Pronounced SAH-RAH-BEE)

"So how's that little country boy treating you?" My dad asked over the phone.

I chuckled. DeVante and I are not together, he has to earn that back but I can't tell my dad that cause then he'll ask what happened.. Then DeVante will get shipped to Africa in pieces.

"His name is Donald daddy. We're good, he treats me well."

"Trust me I know his name. I know everything, I gave him a call last week."

I nearly choked on my water. "For what? What'd you say to him daddy?"

"I just shared a couple words princess. Nothing too harsh, now how's school?"

"Good, I have an audition with the Alvin Ailey troupe next Friday."

"That's my baby, you're going to do great. Remember to live the music and point them toes."

I smiled. "I will, thanks daddy."

"No problem Bebe, I have to go though."

"Same time tomorrow?" I asked.

He chuckled. "Wouldn't miss it for the world."

"I love you daddy."

"I love you too princess."

I hung up and let out a sigh returning to my dance class. I was following along with the moves until I noticed De walk in. Everyone stopped and became star struck as I rolled my eyes.

"Oh my gosh, it DeVante Swing! I love you and Jodeci so much." Tiffany said.

"You're so handsome, I just love your character." Cara said eye raping him.

I shook my head and grabbed a water bottle from my bag. I saw him look around for me and when his eyes landed on mine he smiled brightly. He excused himself from the girls presence and walked up to me. I don't talk to anyone like that so the girls don't know about my love life.

"What are you doing here?" I asked taking a sip of my water.

"Wanted to take you on a date."

I chuckled. "A date? Where?"

"Anthony's pizza shop." He said smiling.

I couldn't help but smile back. "Fine, I'm only going cause you're paying for the food. I have class though so, yeah."

"How much more time?"

"About 45 minutes."

"I can wait, besides I wanna see you in action." He said biting his lip walking away to sit in a chair.

I shook my head as my teacher called us back from break. A couple girls have me some looks, but I'm not here for friends. I'm here to work for my dreams. The music started once again and we all moved in sync as our teacher watched is intently. The whole time De stared at me in admiration. 45 minutes later after loosing 30 lbs through sweating we were finally done.

"De just wait in the lobby, I'll be out soon."

I said putting my hair in a bun. "Alright, great job." He said kissing my forehead. I smiled going to put my things together.

"Didn't think you'd be with DeVante Swing, you never talk." Cara said smirking at me.

"There's a reason for everything. I'm here to work, not play."

"Must be how you got that Alvin Ailey audition."

I chuckled. "No that's from talent." I put my bag on my shoulder and walked past her.

When I got to the lobby De got up taking my bag from me. We walked to the car and he opened the door for me. We headed off to Anthony's and ordered our usual to go because I didn't want to stay in my sweaty clothes. Walking into my house I immediately headed to my bathroom and took a shower.

I came out and put on a long t-shirt, shorts, and a pair of fuzzy socks. I walked into the living room to see De looking for a movie to put on. I sat on the couch and admired him as he looked through my stack of movies. He found one and sat on the couch after putting it in.

"What'd you choose?" I asked grabbing my box of pizza.

"Halloween." He said smirking. I frowned looking over at him.

"Deeee!!! You know I hate scary movies."

"It was in your stack. Obviously you like it."

"No, I didn't buy that Yunna did." I said pouting.

"Oh suck it up you big baby. It's not even that scary."

I sighed rolling my eyes. Of course this shit was scary and DeVante was loving every minute of me being terrified. The movie ended and I was scared shitless.

"Where you going?" I asked him as he got up.

"To go use the bathroom, I'll be back."

"Okay." I said walking behind him.

"Sarabi you're a grown ass woman. Michael Myers doesn't really exist, you'll be fine." He said looking at me. I just blinked at him and he sucked his teeth. "Fine, you can stand outside the bathroom."

I smiled and stood by the door waiting for him to finish. He came out and laughed at the fact that I actually stood by the door. We walked back into the living room and sat down.

"My dad said he talked to you." I said looking at him.

He nodded his head. "Yeah, we spoke."

"What'd you guys talk about?"

"Men talk, don't worry about it."

I scrunched up my eyebrows. "That's my daddy, I deserve to know."

"We just talked, to bond. That's all."

"My father? James Coleman? Bonding with someone I'm dating? I don't believe that at all. Did he threaten you?"

He laughed and stared at me. "Robbi calm down. He didn't threaten me, he made promises as he likes to say." He said.

"Did you tell him we broke up?" I asked.

"No, in my mind we didn't break up. I'm just letting you have your space."

"Whatever.."

"On a serious note, I gotta leave in a couple weeks for tour." He said scratching the back of his neck.

I nodded. "How long?"

"5 months."

I just stared at him. "Oh.. Um, that's.. That's great."

"I'm going to make sure to give you my itinerary, my hotel number and room, the road managers number and beeper, even the boys numbers, and–"

I laughed. "Okay De, I get it. You don't have to do that."

He side eyed me. "Yeah right, don't play games with me woman."

"Okay yeah I do want you to do that." We both laughed. "I have an audition next Friday for Alvin Ailey."

His mouth dropped. "Word? That's great baby! You're going to do amazing." He said pulling me into a hug. I looked into his eyes as we pulled back, but then he pulled me in for a kiss.

It felt so right, but part of me is still hurt so I pulled away. "I'm sorry De, I just.. I can't go there with you yet."

"It's okay Robbi. I just want you to know I love you. I don't want anyone else but you. I will wait as long as I have to."

I smiled and kissed his cheek. "Thanks De, you know where the sheets and stuff are. Goodnight." I said going to my bedroom.

I love him so much but I just keep thinking of him being with that girl every time we touch. It's just going to take a minute to fully trust him again.