Anne// patience needs gratitude

striving_muslimah, this one's for you, because I'm gonna blatantly throw out your story here okay? Okay. If you are not reading His Child, Her Baby, Their Family, YOU ARE GONNA MISS OUT. It's really well written ma sha Allah and I'd recommend it before any of my works.

ANYHOO, here's chapter something [ugh why didn't I number these]. In sha Allah you'll like it, rightsies? Remember to vote and comment if you liked it in sha Allah. They're special and also make me happy msA XD

A N N E

{patience needs gratitude}

The sun had been beating down on everyone that day. Nesrin had been one to take advantage of the nice day by sitting outside where other students were studying their notes in the grass. She was leaning against the brick of the building, sometimes checking to see if there were any bugs near her because she couldn't stand them. After one of her many checks, Nesrin went back to focusing on the book in her lap.

Strangely enough, however, something overcast the pages, creating a shadow, and Nesrin looked up, still squinting from the brightness of the sun. She swallowed at seeing Kerim standing over her with curiosity written on his face. "Um . . ." Nesrin began. "do you need something?"

"I was just wondering if you knew who had anything to do with that accident of Berkant Bey."

Nesrin pursed her lips at hearing his name. A good amount of curses made their way into her head. "I didn't think anyone knew about that," she said.

"That's rather strange, don't you think? The son of the owner of an oil refinery gets into an accident, and yet nobody's heard of it despite their fame-- and wealth, of course."

"Why would you care anyway?" she used her hand as a visor to block out the sun but she still squinted. "And what makes you think I know anything?"

"I would have thought, considering you're up to date on most news..." Kerim went on.

"Yeah. . .and what about it? You think I care about people like Berkant?" Nesrin asked.

Kerim's face lost what looked like a flicker of hope for some reason. It turned into a look of disbelief. "Never mind. I just thought you'd know."

Nesrin was not going to bother with him. "Bye, Kerim."

"Look at that!" a new voice had joined the conversation, and it belonged to one of the group of girls who always fought with Nesrin. She walked over, a sarcastic smile on her rounded face. She was a rotund girl.

Kerim turned to face her, his figure blocking out the sun. Nesrin stood up with her arms folded, reaching his height. "What do you want?" Nesrin asked. Her voice was lined with venom.

"Sneaking away with boys, I see," she eyed Kerim with a look of amusement. Then back to Nesrin. "I always knew you to be the poor village girl. Not the village who--"

"--for your information, he was just asking me about something," she snapped, trying to ignore the word the girl was about to say. "Now you can go away."

The girl rolled her eyes. "And leave you with him? That's cute. I'll let you two enjoy yourselves," she said. "I'll make sure to tell everyone else so they don't disturb you." Nesrin stepped forward with her fist already made and her mouth open but she let the girl walk away.

"Can you expl--"

"--See what you did?" Nesrin exclaimed. Kerim stepped back, and she was glad he did. She already felt violated enough. "I already get enough from those girls, and I didn't need you adding onto it!"