Chapter 19- Death is the End

Alicia kicked and screamed as they led her though the courthouse. She continued to yell profanities to Andrea and Josiah who were both long gone. Placing her down on her feet, the guard told her to calm down. As she regained her composure, she looked at the stain that was on the side of the guard's uniform. His eyes seemed to follow hers as he touched the wet spot on his clothes. As he pulled his fingers away they were covered in a red substance. The guard began to panic feeling over his midsection in effort to discover the source of the blood. After a few moments he found that the blood was not his.

Opening her blazer, Alicia found her tan dress stained by blood. She placed her hands over her stomach, and realized that her staples had come apart when she was tussling with Andrea. In a panic, Andrea lifted her dress not caring who was around. One guard made a gagging sound as he saw her wound open. Dropping down to her knees, pain radiated through her body. An ear-piercing scream ripped through her chest, causing the guards to cover their ears in response. Someone yelled for a doctor, who soon appeared in the hallway. Walking up to Alicia, he saw her screaming in agony at the pain that was emitting through her core.

As the doctor got closer to her, Andrea grabbed the doctor's arm, and screamed, "Please! Please make the pain stop." The doctor nodded, and looked down at her discolored skin. Reaching in his bag, he pulled out a wad of gauze, and said, "We need to get her to a hospital right now. She has an infection on this wound, and there is no telling how bad it is." One guard called for dispatch on his walkie-talkie, while the doctor continue to apply pressure on her wound. Alicia continued to scream at the pain that circulated in her stomach. She wanted the pain to stop, but it was only getting more intense.

Soon Alicia found that she couldn't keep her eyes open for much longer. The pain was too much for her to bear. She felt like little needles were being jammed into her body, and she just wanted it to end. Everything around her seemed to fade as she fell unconscious. The doctor panicked as he watched Alicia fall unconscious. He didn't have the tools with him to make the bleeding stop. He turned to the guard, and asked, "Where the hell is that bus?"
"They're two minutes out doc."
"I don't know if she has two minutes. Her bleeding is getting worse," the doctor said replacing the gauze for a second time. He continued applying pressure to her wound until he heard the sounds of the sirens.

Relief washed over him, as the stretcher made its way towards them. The small crowd parted letting the EMTs through. They soon lifted her body from the floor, and unto the stretcher. A large puddle of blood remained on the marbled floor from where Alicia's body once laid. As she was loaded into the ambulance, the doctor asked for more gauze, so that he could treat the wound. One of the EMTs opened one of Alicia's eyes, and flashed a bright light into it. Hooking her up to the EKG, the doctor monitored her heart rate. The beeping of her heart gave the doctor hope that she was still hanging on.

The doctor's hope didn't last for long as the machine began beeping uncontrollably. Alicia's body followed with the machine. Her body shook, and the doctor tried everything in his power to calm her quaking frame. Alicia's body shook for a few seconds more before it fell plane along with the flat line of the EKG. The doctor and the EMT stared at each other for a moment before the EMT pulled out the defibrillator. The doctor watched as the EMT evoked her training into saving the life of the woman lying on the gurney. After the third time there was still no response. The doctor looked checked her pulse one last time, and dropped his head. Looking at his watch, he spoke flatly, "I'm calling it, 12:43 pm."

Flipping off the machine, the EMT hung her head in shame. They soon arrived at the hospital where they pulled Alicia's body off of the ambulance. The doctor stood outside of the hospital trying to regain his composure so that he could tell the police what happened. His body was covered in Alicia's blood, and he felt defeated because he couldn't save her life. The same guard from the courthouse appeared in front of the doctor. The guard understood with the doctor not uttering a word. He placed his hand on the shoulder of the doctor, and said, "There are some things that are out of our control." The doctor nodded, and followed the guard inside the hospital.

A FEW HOURS LATER

Josiah stood in front of Andrea as she sat on the high stool in their closet. He opened the first aid kit, and cleaned up the cut on Andrea's lip. She winced at the sudden burn to which Josiah snickered. Andrea furrowed her brows in a questioning manner, only for Josiah to laugh loudly. His laugh slowly faded as he saw the look of frustration on his girlfriend's lovely face. He held his hands up in surrender and said, "I think it's funny how you can scuffle with someone without a single sound. Not grunts or a gasp, but you wince at the touch of peroxide."
"It's a cut. What do you expect me to do," Andrea asked through a soft laugh.

A smile spread across Josiah's face as he listened to her heavenly laugh. He finished cleaning her up, and then kissed her forehead sweetly. Instantly, Andrea's arms went around his waist. Andrea knew that she could always depend on him to be by her side, and to always take care of her. It was something that she would always be grateful for. Josiah kissed the top of her head, and wrapped his arms around her shoulders. She was the one thing in the world that made him truly happy.

Their moment was broken by the sound of their home phone ringing. Walking into their bedroom, Josiah went to answer the phone. Andrea walked to the kitchen, and looked through the fridge. Her stomach growled loudly which always made her laugh. Pulling out a leftover bowl of pasta, she sat in on the counter. Making her way back to the bedroom, she asked, "Hey babe, I'm about to heat up the pasta, would you like any?"

Josiah was sitting on the bed with the phone still in his hand. Andrea tapped his shoulder, but he didn't respond. Grabbing the phone from his hand, Andrea looked at the last call. She saw that the call was from Mr. Correa. Confusion made it's way to her face as she made Josiah turn to her. Josiah looked at her sadly, and said, "Alicia's dead."
"What? How?"
"After you two fought, her staples ripped open, and they had to rush her to the hospital, but she was dead before she got there."
"So, I am the reason that she's dead?"
"No. Don't you dare think that this is your fault. She attacked you, and you defended yourself," Josiah said hugging Andrea. He rocked her in his arms, while the silent tears fell from her eyes. The only sound that filled the room was Josiah's comforting words. "It's all over now."

THE END

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO READ THIS BOOK. SPECIAL THANKS TO MY TEO BEAR <3 FOR THE INSPIRATION. I HOPE THAT YOU ALL ENJOYED THIS BOOK. ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU- TOIA <3