Leaving home x And x Meeting friends (Rewritten)

"Please...please! Don't leave Toko. The Hunter exam is only going to get you killed".

I smiled softly down at her, but really it was just a sad attempt to keep myself standing. I had to walk away. I turned away and headed towards my room to finish packing as I could hear my sister's weeping voice ringing in my ears even from this distance. I quickly quicken my paste packing faster and faster as ready to leave as soon as I could. This was hard enough as it was, staying any longer would be unbearable. I threw more and more clothes not caring anymore, along with a few weapons from the choice of my teacher nen instructor Biscuit.

I desperately needed to leave. Leave this island, leave my job, but I didn't want to leave my family. My sister and mother were all I had left in this life. It was a dull life, but I had them, and in a selfish way that wasn't enough. I wanted adventure, I wanted to explore the world, I wanted to live, and I wanted to find him.  Hearing my sister's sobs only makes me want to leave faster. I had to harden myself for the world beyond this small island. This is what I trained for ever since I meet Biscuit all those months ago. To go out into the world and make something of myself. To do something for me is my wish. I wanted to live or die trying, and nothing could change my mind. Not even my sister.

As if on cue, I could hear my sister from the other side of the door, beating angrily and emotionally frustrated as she calls out my name for me to stay as she sobbed even harder now, but I don't respond. Instead, I zipped up my small suitcase and sit on top of it until I gather the nerve to walk past her and leave. Through the door, I could hear mom from the other side trying to talk to Niko and get her to understand, but it hardly has any effect. I explained to our mother why I wanted to leave and she understood my wishes, even though she was terrified at the idea of me possibly being killed, she wanted me to live for me.

After a few minutes of waiting, I finally gathered the courage to leave out of my room. I inhaled deeply as I creaked open the door. There in the hallway beside my door was Niko. With tears streaming down her cheek mom held her in her arms as she softly cried into her arms. I felt my gut tighten in regret.

"Niko...I-".

"Don't Toko! You've made your choice. You're choosing to leave, just like him." Niko sniffled.

"Don't compare me to him. I'm nothing like he was. I'm doing to make a difference for myself. To make me stronger. This is for us."

"No, this is for you! You're just like dad! Toko, it was supposed to be me and you against the world, now it's just you without me." I stopped in my track. For as her words sunk in. She was right. It was always supposed to be us. Niko and Toko. Then something happened and we both changed. That's just life. In a way she was right, maybe now it is just me.

"I will be back Niko, this is not forever".

"Am I not important to you anymore!?" she screams as she touches her belly slightly. She rubs it gently as she looks down at herself, "are we not important to you anymore?" My eyes widen as I stared towards her. How could she say that?  She thought I didn't care about her or the baby... maybe that was for the best for her to think.

"I am leaving Niko. You can't change my mind. This is what I want. Don't you care about what I want?"

"No, not if this is it. Not if it means you have to leave. How could you do this? Mom, how can you stand there so calmly and let him do this?"

"Niko, you have to understand this is what your brother wants to do. I can't stop him from doing this and you can either. He has to find his own way in life whatever that might be for him," Mom smiled sadly as she started wiping tears from her cheeks. I smiled as I rushed up to her and held her in a long embrace as she had done a thousand times when we were younger all the way up till now.