Desperation...

31st December 2015.
Tomorrow is the big day. Hina was pretty excited about the New Year eve. She planned to take up resolutions which she set to eventually not follow. Happens every year, per se. Life has been running stable since 2012 and I've ceased to be a failure. All I wanted was a little light of a candle. Hina, she became my radiant sun.

It was around 11 in the night and we decided to roam around the city. Hina had understanding parents. They set her free. They really did trust me a lot.
Mahesh Das, a successful man in the defence business decided to make his hometown his office headquarters. He managed to save many lives by supplying cutting edge military technology at a cheaper rate to the Indian defence institution, thus deliberately saving millions of lives. I am one of those millions for he managed to give me the light of  my life, Hina.

I set an alarm for the New Year eve and began roaming around with Hina. She really loved bikes and wanted me to teach her to drive one. Her every request just sought to boost my relationship to the next level. I gave her a basic training. She was a quick learner.

Suddenly when we hit the highway, the alarm in my phone rang. "Happy New Year honey!" said Hina. I stopped at my destination.

I dismounted my bike and put Hina up to a task. "I've a surprise for you Hina. Close your eyes and put your hand inside the fuel tank cover." I said. Hina was intrigued. She put her hand in the fuel cover and found a gift box inside. "Is this one of your surprises Ram?" asked Hina. I maintained silence but couldn't help smiling.

She opened the box to find a paper and a velvet box. "Too cliché Ram!" said Hina. "This is something else honey. Wait and watch." I said.

She started reading the paper. Her blue eyes overflowed her with tears after reading it. "That's me forever Hina." I said. She hugged me hard and started crying.

" 'Your blue eyes, giant like a sea,
is for me, enough...
You are, my merry love bee,
who stung me, so sweet and rough! '

Together, forever.

Love,       
Your Ram. "

Those words came out of nowhere. Actually,  they came deep from my heart.

Hina was intrigued by the content of the box. "What's in it Ram?" she asked. "It's best if I give it to you, my blue eyed maiden." I said.

With no further thought, I took the box. "Now or never Ram. Think twice before you do this." said the mind and soul in unison. I knew what I did.

I clenched the box tight and knelt. "Hina, life has really been a wonder since you came inside it. You are my life and the light in it. Will you, take me as your better half?" I asked her.

Instead of glee, melancholy filled the air. I saw frustration in her eyes."Let's get back. Papa will be worried." she said. I dropped her without a question.

In the morning of 1st January 2016, I had a call. This was no ordinary call. It was Mr. Das, Hina's father.

My heart just started running like a piston. I attended the call and nervously said "He...He..Hello? Mr. Das?"

"Am I speaking to Ram Naresh Sharma?"

"Yes. This is him. Tell me sir. What do you require of me?"

"I'd like to meet you son. This is kinda personal. My guards will pick you up at 11 a.m . Be ready kid."

"Yes sir."

The conversation instilled doubt and anxiety within me. This was supposed to be a happy event.

Mr. Das had a dedicated security force. They rung my home's bell at 10:59. The guard was a hefty man with a dark complexion. "Happy New Year sir. Shall we be off?" he asked. He had a really deep voice. I nodded and went along with him.

I hit the Das residence. There, Hina's father personally welcomed me. He offered me tea. I refused. "Well... Tea ain't my cup of tea Mr. Das." I said. He laughed out loud and said "I see why my daughter is in love with you kid. You're an interesting young man."

He placed his cup and saucer on the table and said "Let's cut to the chase, kid. You love Hina and the feelings are mutual. I don't want her to be daddy's little girl forever. What I'm about to tell you is gonna change your perception towards Hina forever. If you're ready to accept her no matter what, I'll let you be. Whaddya say, li'l man?"

I hastily accepted.

"Truth is kid,  I've been watching you from the day you two came close. You've really been the guy she wants and needs. Everyone is weak, in a manner of speaking. You're mentally weak. Hina is physically weak."

I was honestly puzzled.

"She has a hole in her heart son, and it doesn't seem to be having a cure till date. She is like her mother. A1B negative, a one in a million blood group. She needs a heart transplant. Take care of her. This probably may be your last happy days with her."

Mr. Das took me by surprise. I skipped a beat after hearing this news. My complement has a deformity?

I honestly didn't know why god chose to play jerk here....