Facades...

10th March 2017.
It was the day of her surgery. A tough time lies ahead of me. "Will she live? Will my life be lit again? Please tell me! SOMEBODY TELL ME!!!" were my mind and soul's constant musing. Mind, who is so full of itself, set itself in prayer for me. I desperately waited out for a miracle between a hailstorm of misfortunes.

I went to the Das residence. "Ram! What a pleasant surprise!" said a commanding voice from a distance. It was Hina's papa / my future father in law.

"You're here in good time son. Hina's finally being cured of her illness. We finally found an A1B -ve heart for her, courtesy of a brain dead soldier."

The words of Mr. Das showed me the true meaning of "Calm after the storm". We travelled to the hospital in Mr. Das' private armed convoy. Insecurity is an understatement to describe Mr. Das' life. He painted a giant target ring on his back after he decided to bring down the cost for a better frontal defense. Thanks to Das industries, India has an upper hand in every war due to the nearly endless availability of arms and missiles. In essence, he's a Messiah.

We hit the hospital and Mr. Das gave me the honors of doing the necessary formalities. "How are you related to the patient, Sir? " asked the nurse. "Ram is Hina's fiancé." said Mr. Das.

I was happy that someone other than Hina began accepting me to their closer circles. "Welcome to the family son, in law." said Mr. Das.

The surgery went well and Hina was fast asleep, thanks to the anaesthesia. The doc came out and asked me "Are you Mr. Sharma? There's good news. She's back to the world of the living. Welcome her after thirteen hours."

There was so much excitement in the air. She was so nervous about the surgery.

Thirteen hours passed. I felt more on my nerves than Mr. Das. He looked like he almost didn't care. "She may be visited now." said the nurse with a reassuring tone.

I went inside the ward to visited my resurrected sunshine. "Hey honey! Did I keep you waiting?" she asked, weakly. "I'll wait forever if it's for you babe." I said. Mind and soul were in a heap of happiness and they've been such a mess for the past half a day. They bellowed a huge breath after knowing that she'll be back into my arms.

I said to Hina with a bright face "Honey, I'm officially promoted from your boyfriend to fiancé! How awesome is that?"

She couldn't be happier in her whole life than this moment.

I showed her the ring I gave her on new year's eve and asked "You've no escape from me now. Will you accept my proposal now? "

As usual, a slap came flying to my left cheek.

"I suppose that's a yes?" I asked sarcastically.

"Maybe." she said shyly.

She seldom sports a facade of desperation....