Chapter 30 - Bravado & Its Pitfalls

||Valeria||

Throughout my life I always had people telling me what to do. People dictating my life choices for me. Both directly and indirectly. One of those people were—are Pius. His daily torments had an insurmountable effect on my day to day choices. He dictated my actions and choices without me even realizing it. I think his doings were one of the fueling agents to the hatred I had for my parents. The hatred that drove them away from me. The hatred that I placed before all else and condemn them to all things they never were.

Thinking about that reminds me of the last day I saw them. Emotions start to brew as the memories flood my mind, but I quickly bury it. I’m done with that part of my life. Being an emotional mess, crying my eyeballs out. I’m taking control of my life. I’ll no longer let anyone control my choices and decisions. I won’t let anyone dictate my life for me and that’s exactly how I found myself at the Dine Inn against everyone’s—including Pius—wish, seated in front of Francis Weller—leader of the mysterious organization and Yolanda—the waiter at The Brew which I promised to have a meeting with.

“So, how do we do this?” I ask switching my gaze between Francis and Yolanda with my hands clasps on the table. The diner is not that full today meaning I’ve few minutes to spare before I bounce back to work.

Francis chuckles brightening his beautiful green eyes. “Relax, Valeria. We’re not serial killers.” He says.

“I know.” I sigh, running a hand down my face. “Just being cautious. That’s all.”

“You’ve all right to be.” He says genuinely.

“Would you like something to eat or drink?” I ask them, chiding myself internally for not asking earlier.

“I think I’ll have both.” Francis smiles. “I’m famished.”

“Me too.” Yolanda chimes in. I immediately wave Stacey over. They place their orders and the food arrives not longer than after fifteen minutes. I also ask for something to drink not to look like the only dry biltong amongst people that are eating.

“So…” I trail leaving the sentence open ended. Francis looks up at me, blessing me with another of his all-knowing smirks between chews. He swallows the food in his mouth, taking a sip from his drink before he speaks.

“Please we’re not some bunch of creeps that fangirl slash stalk you or anything.” He states. “We’re just a group of computer experts that stumble upon something they weren’t supposed to. As a result they decided to use that and form a type of non-profitable firm-like-kind-of-organization whichever way you like to call it. We’re still in our early days but our primary objective is to fight injustice using our expertise in the most unexpected tactful manner. We currently only have one client which is you.”

I take in a huge breathe, taking time to absorb all the information he just shared with me. “Uhm… Wow. Okay. Uhmm... you said you guys stumbled upon some information that prompt the formation of the group, am I right?”

“Yes.” It’s Yolanda that responds this time.

“What information?” I ask them.

“We know about the Hoards Valeria.” Francis deadpans losing all trace of prior humor.

“What...? How...? That’s impossible... They’re like invisible and untraceable and—”