Staggering Through Twilight Hours

The clouds began to darken as the air wailed in agony. The sky rumbled as if to give off an ominous warning to the world. To Hope's Peak Academy, the warning was far too late.

"Hey," Hajime greeted Nagito in a faint voice.

"Hey," Nagito replied in a monotone manner.

       The two stared ahead at the new police car positioned near the entrance of the school. 'Security has been increased,' Hajime thought grimly. 'Of course, there would be more guards around after...' Hajime scowled and shook his head.

"Let's go," Hajime grabbed Nagito's wrist and tugged.

Nagito nodded without saying a word. 'Sitting under the tree sounds nice,' Hajime thought. Though the clouds overhead indicated the certainty of rain, it was rather hot. The heat was absolutely suffocating.

DRIP, DRIP, DRIP

       Some rain showers began to make their way down slowly at first. But, soon came down hammering against the pavement. The smothering heat and the icy rain clashed. A dense fog surrounded Hajime and Nagito.

"Guess we can't eat lunch at that new café Teruteru recommended," Hajime sighed and looked at Nagito, "Sorry."

"It's fine, Hajime," Nagito sat down and leaned his cheek against his palm, "I wasn't really hungry anyways."

"Yeah, after what happened to Natsumi and Sato..." Hajime trailed off, "How are you doing, Nagito?"

"Me?" Nagito raised an eyebrow, "Shouldn't you be more concerned with yourself?"

"Nagito, I have a right to be concerned about my friends."

"But you're the one who was in their class," Nagito snapped.

"And your class was visited by them almost every day," Hajime looked directly into Nagito's eyes, "Tell me, are you alright?"

"You should be asking Fuyuhiko and Mahiru, not me..."

"I need to know how you are, Nagito. I don't know how to approach them right now, but I can start by asking you are."

"How I am? I'm absolutely ecstatic!" Nagito began to laugh manically, "For every horrific thing that happens, something beautiful happens! Therefore, the despair we receive now will only be overcome by the new hope that flourishes!"

"N-Nagito?" Hajime cautiously tried to get his attention, "Could I ask you something?"

Nagito paused mid-rant and looked at Hajime.

"I was wondering if it really matters how someone gets their talent..."

Nagito tilted his head in confusion, "The moment we are born, it's determined whether we have a talent."

"I know, I know but..." Hajime continued, "what if talents could be implanted?"

"Implanted? How?" Nagito asked skeptically.

"Like neurologically or something. Look, it doesn't matter how but what if I-"

"Talent can't be-"

"Look at the technology we have now, Nagito. It's definitely possible!"

"If I were you, I wouldn't," Hajime's face fell, "Have you thought of the consequences? It isn't safe! They could damage your brain while they're in there!"

"They're professionals, Nagito! Everything will be fine!"

"Don't do it," Nagito gave Hajime a cold stare.