Scenario (Part 4/4)

Title: The Do-Over
Member: Haechan/Donghyuck
Genre: Slight Fluff/Angst
Part: 4/4

---

I was still in shock after realizing what had just happened.

Here I was, on the cold hard pavement, with my best friend's arms wrapped around me in comfort. Donghyuck gently stroked my hair, nestling my head into his chest. His warm presence easily the best feeling to have. I was exactly where I wanted to be.

Well, not entirely. I didn't understand how I had gotten here or why. But I did know that this was the day Donghyuck left for his SM audition and never came back. The reason being that my step-sister had threatened to hurt me if he ever did.

This was my chance to change what happened that day. To make sure that Donghyuck would stay in my life forever. Then all the harsh words and cold stares he had given me would have never happened. He would stop pretending to resent me, and the only good thing in my life would return as if it hadn't abandoned me for three years.

"I swear, Y/N." Donghyuck whispered into my ear. "The day I marry you, we're getting as far from your step-family and their dumb restaurant as soon as possible - "

"How about right now?" I interjected. I hastily gripped his arm with my hands, looking up at him full of excitement and hope. "Let's run away right now. We can get married in Italy. I hear it's great there."

He furrowed his brows in confusion. "Yeah. I heard the same thing. Y/N, are you okay? You don't sound like you." Donghyuck examined my head. "How hard did they hit you?"

"I'm fine! Why? Do you not actually want to marry me?" I questioned.

"That's not it. I mean, sure. I'll marry you some day. But not now. We're only kids." Donghyuck explained.

This can't be happening. The first time this happened, Dongyhyuck was the one that was eager and I was the skeptical one. Now our roles were reversed.

"You just want to get to your audition." I spat, pushing him away as I brushed my self off and stood up. I know I sounded selfish, and maybe I was. But for years I've had to endure the cruelness of my family, then the absence of my only friend, only to have him hate me once I saw him again.

Now was my opportunity to make my life good for once, and I wasn't going to waste it. In this moment, the build-up of all the resentment I felt just came out. Desperate to get my best friend back.

"You're going to walk around that corner and never come back. Abandoning me as if I meant nothing to you." My voice quivered as tears began to rush down my face. "To make your superstar dreams come true."

Donghyuck closed the gap between us, cupping my face in his hands. His thumb grazed away a teardrop as he looked into my eyes and said, "When are you going to realize that you're my dream, pabo?"

I wanted to scream at him that it was all a lie, that he didn't mean what he just said despite how much it meant to me. But in that moment I realized something.

How could he hold me as if I was his most precious treasure, so gentle yet with the strength of never letting go, and not care about me?

How could he look into my eyes with such tender affection, pleading me to believe him, and not care about me?

How could I tell him not to go to the audition, and expect him to care about me, and still have the audacity to claim I love him?

The only lies Donghyuck ever told me were the ones at the fansign event. The ones he said now, in this moment, were real.

He would pretend to hate me for as long as it took if it meant I was safe. Donghyuck never stopped caring about me. If anything, he loved me enough that he knew he had to let me go.

And now, it was my turn.

I couldn't deprive Donghyuck of this. I didn't want to take away his opportunity to live out his passion.

"You should really get going, Hyuck." I said in a soft voice. "I don't want you to be late for your audition."

"You promise you're okay?" He asked.

"Promise." I lied.

I thought he would leave now, but instead, we stayed in the same position with our eyes closed and our foreheads resting on one another. I cherished it because I thought it would be our last real moment. "I'll come back for you. I promise." Donghyuck said in a whisper. "But I might be a little late."

I knew he wouldn't be back tonight, but I nodded anyways. Then, he backed away from me, turned the corner of the restaurant, and left.

Agitated, I rubbed my face, and when I opened my eyes again, I saw that I was in front of the SM Town building. Back in reality.

I don't know if I traveled time, or if that was merely a figment of my imagination, but I brushed it off, deeming it useless to linger on this memory any longer.

I felt something poking me in the side, and realized that I had left the letter Hyeji had given me earlier in my pocket.

I reached into my coat, pulled it out, and tore open the envelope. When I unfolded the paper, my heart skipped a beat. It was addressed to me one year ago.

Y/N,

I don't know if you'll ever get this. If you do, I hope you won't be too mad at me to read it. But I just couldn't say nothing anymore.

I can't tell you why I never came back to see you or why I never contacted you in the last two years. But I promise it's not because I hate you. I could never hate you, no matter how much I act as if I do. You're my best friend. Hell, we both know you're so much more than that.

I'm going to debut soon. And I know that'll it'll probably hurt you if you hear our songs on the radio or when NCT attends award shows on TV. You'll think that I abandoned you. That I broke that promise I made to you that day I left for my audition.

I haven't though. At least not yet. I'll come back for you, Y/N. Please just give me some time. I might be a little late.

Donghyuck

I reached into the envelope again, finding that there was a small object at the bottom.

It was a ring. And when I examined it closer, I saw that there was an engraving written on the inside of it. My heart leaped with hope.

For Italy <3

It read.

A soft smile instantly came to my face as I slipped the ring into my pocket, knowing that I would need it one day in the future. I would wait and endure all the suffering no matter how long it took for that day to come.

---

Thank you so much for reading this whole scenario!

Check out my Redbubble Shop: 

https://www.redbubble.com/people/rosemochi8/explore?page=1&sortOrder=recent