Chapter 4- Dreaming of a Galaxy

Relating to Episode 12 of Love O2O

(A/N: The dialogue/in-game chat from this chapter is taken directly from the series; it's not attempting to change the events that happened in the series, just give a bit more insight into Hao Mei's mind at that time.)

It was a very ruffled Hao Mei who eased himself back into his chair as Yu Ban Shan and Qui Yong Hou smirked at him, secure in their combined might.

<Mo Zha Ta> I just finished a real life battle.

<Lu Wei Wei Wei> With Old Man Yu and Drunk Monkey Hou?

<Mo Zha Ta> I beat them so badly they were begging me to stop.

A laugh from the maniacs opposite made him grimace. Wei Wei never needed to know how it really went down

<Mo Zha Ta> Don't worry. I didn't say it was you.

<Lu Wei Wei Wei> Senior, I actually think you're very lucky. Since your name originated from E-Mei Mountain, if you weren't name Hao Mei you could have been named Hao E instead... Hao E... that would sound so weird.

Hao Mei shook his head sadly. Even Saosan was giving him hard time about his name. In truth, the suggestion that she'd made was one he'd thought about for years... He'd even created a gamertag paying tribute to his namesake and no one online had given him a hard time about it. Although, that may have had something to do with his character's appearance...

<Mo Zha Ta> Would you really rather be called Hao Mei than Hao E? After thinking about it for twenty years I'd rather be called Hao Mountain.

As much as he wished his mother had never gone to E-Mei Mountain, Hao Mei had to admit he was lucky. To be given such a name without the face to match would be unimaginable. As it was, Mei felt rather like he was qi hu nan xia (A/N: "qi hu nan xia" = when one is riding a tiger it is hard to dismount. Essentially, when you're stuck in a difficult situation the only thing you can do is go forward doing your best.).

<Lu Wei Wei Wei> Mr Beauty, quick! I found a rare guardian beast.

<Mo Zha Ta> Sansao, how did you know this guardian beast suited my occupation? I've always wanted it, but was never able to get it?

Back in the dorm, Hao Mei hid his scowl from the others. Was Saosan picking up Laosan's ability to read minds now? How did she know he'd just thought about tigers? He was accustomed to Xiao Nai's uncanny ability to know what he was thinking but if Bei Wei Wei was going to pick up the same habit then Hao Mei was in big trouble.

<Mo Zha Ta> Sansao, where did you get this? You're absolutely amazing!

<Lu Wei Wei Wei> The company that bought my game story gave it to me. Every one of the characters in our story gets one.

<Mo Zha Ta> They can't possibly be so generous that they give everyone a guardian beast. You must have asked for it, right?

<Lu Wei Wei Wei> Just keep it to yourself and thank me in your heart.

<Mo Zha Ta> I'm so touched. Well done Laosan! Well done Laosan! He married you and we all benefit from it.

Even as he whole heartedly congratulated Xiao Nai and Bei Wei Wei, Hao Mei could feel his spirits sinking. An uncomfortable lump settled in his stomach and pressure built behind his eyes. To distract himself, and to prevent Wei Wei's emerging psychic talents from picking up on anything, Mei turned his attention to mischief. Teasing the absent Xiao Nai was fun... until he walked behind him. Then it became a hazardous venture. Keeping his head down, Hao Mei tried to fly under the radar while Bei Wei Wei and Xiao Nai turned their wit towards each other. When Bei Wei Wei abruptly disappeared from Dreams of Jiangshu and Xiao Nai went out to the balcony to ring her, Hao Mei took the opportunity to log off as well. There was only so much pink air a single man could breath before feeling sick. (A/N: pink as in romantic. Usually used to refer to pink rumours ie. rumours of a romantic nature.).

Without conscious thought, Hao Mei found himself logging in to an account that had lain dormant for nearly a year. As his female avatar turned in lazy circles on the home screen, Hao Mei sighed, burying his face in his hands. As useless as it was, he couldn't help wonder what it would have been like had his plan worked. Or if he hadn't been a renyao and had indeed been the girl his avatar suggested. Which was a pointless train of thought. He couldn't turn back time and he couldn't change who he was.

* * *

Not too far away, an alert dinged on a mobile screen and the phone's owner ran for his laptop. Ignoring his irate boss, he logged into Galaxy Fantasies, followed the trace he'd previously put in place and felt his breath catch as the camera of the distant laptop showed him his E-Mei, head in hands and shoulders slumped.

Text to: E-Mei

You free? Food?

A phone next to the distant laptop pinged and he watched Hao Mei's face light up as he read the incoming text.

* * *

Text from: Number One Chef

You free? Food?

Hao Mei smiled at his phone and abruptly closed his laptop. Grabbing a hoodie, he struggled to put it on and get it zipped while simultaneously replying to the message. He didn't know how KO always managed to cheer him up when he needed it but could already feel his spirits lifting.

"I'm headed out guys. If I miss curfew I'll just see you in the morning."

Text to: Number One Chef

See you soon.