Chapter 16- Surprise

A/N: Although I would like to travel a lot more, and China is on my 'to visit' list, I haven't actually been there before. All chapters relating to Chengde are entirely reliant on my ability to Google. I'm down with the google machine. Really. After tonight's efforts, I owe google a drink. Or 20. But I still don't think that will be enough drinks to make it forget my search history. Anyway... that's beside the point. The point is; I'm going to be quite a bit sparser in my description of Chengde than I would like to be, but I would rather keep it basic than represent it incorrectly. (We'll see how well Wattpad cooperates with me- maybe I'll use pictures.)

* * *

The envelope that Xiao Nai passed to KO contained train tickets and hotel booking information, as well as what Xiao Nai referred to as 'spending money'... and KO called "a month's wages". While the rest of the office would take the two weeks break, Xiao Nai had already organised with KO that he and Hao Mei would have four days off before coming back in to work. After the foul play on behalf of Zhen Yi, Xiao Nai had been keeping an eye on any possible interference; when KO came to Zhi Yi Technologies, Xiao Nai tasked him with finding their most vulnerable areas in an attempt to prevent leaving a weak spot that their competitor could exploit in the future. As a further security measure, now that KO and Xiao Nai had run several scenarios, they'd planned a counterattack which would be kept secret from the other staff. Even Qui Yong Hou and Yu Ban Shan were to be kept in the dark; Xiao Nai trusted them implicitly, however neither would be able to hide their distrust around the others, which wouldn't help create an environment conducive to productivity. He was especially concerned with Hao Mei's tendency to wear his feelings on his face; he also had no desire to disillusion the older but extremely naïve man. Discussing his concerns with KO, the hacker had reassured him that he'd manage Hao Mei. A look had passed between them; one of complete understanding with a hint of humour. The type of look that, had Hao Mei and Wei Wei been present, would have earned them the cold shoulder for a significant duration.

When Hao Mei knocked on KO's door later that night, the sweet and sour pork was cooked and steaming on the table. As soon as the door opened, Hao Mei sniffed the fragrant air and smiled happily.

    "Yum! You spoil me." He pushed past his friend and automatically made his way into the small bathroom, washing his hands before joining KO at the makeshift dinner table. The pair ate in a silence broken only occasionally by Hao Mei's contented moans. When neither could eat any more, KO placed the leftovers in a container in the fridge while Hao Mei took his turn cleaning dishes in the shower alcove. Bringing the clean plates back into the main room, he finally noticed the packed bags next to the front door.

    "Eh? You're going somewhere for the break?" His face fell. "Why didn't you say? I'd have gone home if I knew you were going away."

    "No."

    "No what? You're not going away?"

    "No."

    "Then why the bags?"

   "We're going away."

    Hao Mei blinked. "Say again?"

    "We; as in, Plural. Away. Together."

    Comprehension cleared the shadows from Hao Mei's face. "Eh?! Really? Where? When?"

   "Chengde. Tomorrow."

   "Why?" As happy as he was to go on a trip with KO, Hao Mei couldn't help feeling like he was being left out of a fairly significant loop.

    "Laoda." While Hao Mei promptly rang Xiao Nai, his eyes narrowing as he listened to the situation, KO brought bedding out for him. As Hao Mei finished the call, slipping his phone into his pocket, KO waited for the expected explosion. The younger man didn't disappoint.

    "There are snakes in the grass everywhere. This sort of thing is not honourable. How can they look at themselves in the mirror; so worried about the mice nibbling at their crumbs. They'd be better off putting that energy into developing their own ideas and creativity. Try to steal other people's work.. Pah..." Gesticulating wildly, Hao Mei paced across the small loungeroom, making KO wonder how many laps he would do before wearing a path in the already thin carpet. "Just as well laosan is the type to attend every thread."

    "Hmm."

    Pausing mid spin, with a finger raised in the air, Mei gave KO a suspicious look. "All of which doesn't explain why we," he waved the finger between the two of them, "are going away for a trip. Together."

    "Compensation." Staring over Hao Mei's shoulder, KO's face was carefully blank.

    "Compensation?" Suspicion coloured Mei's voice and he raised an eyebrow at his friend. When the other man refused to make eye contact, he decided that patience would serve him best. They had three days away. Two nights sharing a room. At some point over that time, he'd successfully weasel the truth out of KO. "Fine. Compensation. We'll pretend I believe you. What time tomorrow are we going? Do I need to meet you here?"

    KO pointed at the pillow and familiar star blanket, folded on the couch. "Sleep here tonight. We'll leave first thing in the morning." 

    "I need to go home and pack."

   "No need."

    "I need clothes. I'm not wearing the same clothes for the whole time. I have an image to maintain."

    KO looked at the bags next to the front door and Mei followed his gaze. "One is for me? How?"

    Bending over, he opened one, saw only black and closed it again. The second contained various shades of blue, which he safely assumed was his. A quick check of the tags showed that the shirts and jeans were in his size and he raised an eyebrow. How does he know my size?  Looking under his arm, he surprised KO looking in his direction and was shocked when the older man flushed slightly and left the room. Shaking his head at KO's foibles, Mei stretched himself out on the couch, staring at the roof while he waited for his friend to come back in to the loungeroom. He had questions to ask, interrogating to begin...

   When KO returned after his shower, Hao Mei was fast asleep with his head on the end of the couch and his feet dangling on to the floor. With a wry smile, KO gently lifted his head, sliding the pillow beneath him, then covered him with the blanket. Squatting beside him, KO studied his face, and ran a hand through his soft hair.

    "Sleep well." With one last look at the sleeping beauty, KO left him to his sleep. He'd need it; they had a big day planned for tomorrow.

A/N: I've surprised myself... what I thought would be a very short, partial chapter, continued growing into an almost full length chapter. So now I have no clue how long the chapters will be. If I write them and they're only short and incomplete ,then I'll post them as parts (Chapter 17a, Chapter 17b etc) however if they're the usual length then I'll post them as they're own chapter. But this means that I no longer have any idea what the next few chapter's will be- I know the general content but don't have the detailed plan anymore. Oh well. I'm discovering that tis pair have their own ideas as to pacing and when I try to change that, they gang up on me and refuse to cooperate. Between them and the sick minions, I'm about to throw my hands up in defeat and acknowledge "I am not the one in charge."