Chapter 3

My eyes scanned the variety of small multi colored boxes on the shelf. It would be hard to figure out which one would do the trick, so I read every single label and even researched them on my phone. I glanced down to my body and gave a satisfied smile, but I needed to lose more. After a month and a half I already lost a miraculous 30 pounds. The weight just kept falling off week by week. I was so astonished that I was able to lose that much in just a short period of time. It was something so many people dreamed of achieving, but never got. I guess with all the research I’ve done, exercise, and meditation for my stress made it possible. If someone had told me I could do it two years ago, I would have laughed in their face and walked away. I wasn’t confident back then, but now I was a completely different person.

I settled on a diet pill that I had heard so much about. (Won’t name it for specific reasons.) A knew a girl who took it and ended up losing twenty pounds in just a week and a half. If it could do that much for her, then I was more than willing to try it. As I walked over to the cash registers, I decided self-checkout would be best. I bought the pills and walked out with a grin.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The week went by uneventfully. I hadn't lost a single pound and was starting to get discouraged. I didn't understand why. I was doing everything right and should shed at least a pound a week. Was I eating too much? I thought about my diet plan. It consisted of three small meals a day. I didn't believe in eating six meals a day because that was just too much for me. Maybe I should cut back on my food intake and make it two meals. I could skip lunch and just eat breakfast and dinner. I hadn't yet taken any of the diet pills so I would also do that. And I definitely needed to exercise more.

I started right away. The first couple of weeks were extremely difficult. It was hard dealing with the hunger between meals and I was becoming exhausted quickly with the workouts. Instead of doing three hours of working out a day, I bumped it up to five. I would space each workout with an hour, and then continue. I would either walk for an hour, go hiking, do intervals with running, bike, and even do some weight lifting. I would start immediately after I woke up then eat breakfast because it was a proven fact that your metabolism speeds up if you eat after and you burn more of the calories. My father wasn't able to attend every workout session with me, but when he did it was a good bonding experience.

My brother had completely stopped with the insults, instead he now showered me with compliments. He was so surprised by the amount of weight I was losing, and he even accompanied me on a few hikes. It was nice to hear him and my father talk about how proud they were of me. I had never been proud of myself, but now I was starting to. I had accomplished many things in a short period of time.

My mother was a little different. She always told me that I didn’t need to lose weight and that I looked beautiful the way I was, but I always shook those words off. I needed to, and she knew it deep down. She did though go out with me to get some new clothes, but the trips would always be every couple of weeks because I’d continue to get smaller.

When I finally started getting used to the workouts and eating patterns, I watched as my weight began to drastically drop. The diet pills were working incredibly, and I was stunned every morning when I looked in the mirror. School was only a month away and I still had much more to lose. Stepping on the scale was like opening presents on Christmas. I was always so excited when I looked at the number.

I had talked on the phone to Robbie and Sasha a few times also. They said I sounded different. Happier and more energetic. I just told them it was because I was having a great time on vacation. They were bummed that they wouldn’t be able to see me until school started. I told them I would make it up to them by spending more time together when I got back. They were excited to hear that.