Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

-----------------------

Therapy Session

-----------------------

"Charlie, can we talk again?"

"Why? So you can call someone else a homophobe? Perhaps you want to call me a faggot now and then you can tell my mom I'm cured so I can get out of here. How about that?"

"Why are you angry at me?"

"Because I am... I'm angry at everyone. This whole situation is such fucking bullshit. Do you know that technology sucks?! It does. I can receive stupid text messages but I can't fucking send them? How is that possible? I can't even reply back to my girlfriend's text message because technology bullshitted me. I'm tired of the way my sister acts.

"I'm tired of my mother. She kicked me out. Kicked. Me. Out. Yet she's persisting on me coming to therapy. It makes no sense. If you want me to talk, explain that to me. Explain to me why my mother cannot let it go."

"...Sometimes people don't know how to let go. Your mother is having a hard time because she thinks the reason you're gay is because God is punishing her."

"That's ridiculous. If God were punishing her, He wouldn't punish her like that. He doesn't work that way."

"Well from everything you've told me about her, that's what I figure she's thinking. She's having a hard time accepting you."

"No. You're wrong. She has always expressed how much she hates members of the LGBT community. You know that she was happy a gay person died in our town?"

"Really?"

"Yes. She told everyone that she was glad he was dead. No one disagreed with her..."

"Wow."

"Yeah..."

"Did you do anything?"

"I was only 11 at the time, but now that I'm out I wish I had. He didn't deserve what they did to him. He was just a teen. It wasn't as if he had been trying to convert anyone, he was just being himself."

"You remember what you told me a few sessions ago?"

"What did I say? I've said a lot of things."

"About your town being narrow-minded. Do you remember?"

"Yeah."

"When you were saying that, were you talking for this boy that died? Were you two close?"

"I suppose in a way I was talking for him too. He was a good guy, but no, I didn't him that well. He was 6 years older. I wish I had known him and that some way I could have prevented his death. It's something that has bothered me for the longest time. I sometimes think of him and hope he's in Heaven, watching over me, smiling that I'm not letting the town eat me alive.

"It was the worse seeing him get tortured by his 'friends'. But he kept going. Kyle was a fighter to the end. And I will never forget him."