five

Aria

When I finally regain consciousness, I find that I'm lying in a hospital bed.

Abel.

Quickly getting out of the bed, I run out the room, my body aching. I grit my teeth, ignoring the pain.

"Excuse me, Miss!" a female voice says when she notices me leaving my room. "You should be resting!"

"I know," I say. "I just need to see my boyfriend - fiancé - Abel Tesfaye. Where is he?"

The nurse touches my shoulder. "You should rest," she tells me in a soft voice.

I shake her arm off angrily. "No!" I growl. "I want to see my fiancé!"

The woman chews her lip and nods slowly. "Okay," she says calmly. "Follow me."

Sighing with relief, I follow the nurse to another hospital room. I wrap my arms around myself, trying to stop the shivering. I'm not even feeling cold, I'm just scared to see the state Abel is in.

The nurse opens the room door, holding it open for me. "You can only stay here for twenty minutes," she tells me. "You really need your rest."

I nod and lick my lips, stepping in. "Thank you," I whisper before stepping into the room.

The nurse closes the door behind her and I just stand there, taking in the sight of Abel in front of me.

He's lying on the hospital bed with machines wired to him. The heartbeat machine catches my eyes specifically.

Any minute, that thing can go off, indicating that Abel's heart has stopped beating.

I push the thought to the back of my mind, not wanting to think about that happening.

I walk towards him and lean down to kiss his forehead.

Sitting on the empty chair beside his bed, I take his hand in mine and brush my lips against it.

The door opens and in comes the same nurse that allowed me to see Abel. "Here," she says kindly, handing me a little white cup. She holds another plastic cup in the other hand.

"What are these?" I ask, looking sceptically at the pills in the cup.

"It's for the pain," the nurse answers, handing me the other cup which is full of water.

Nodding, I take them and swallow a huge amount of water. I wipe my mouth. "Has he woke up at any point?" I ask her, handing the cups back over to her.

She smiles sympathetically and disposes of them. "He hasn't regained consciousness yet," she tells me.

"How long will it take for him to wake up?" I ask.

The nurse shrugs. "It could take a couple of days," she tells me. "He did have a injury to his head."

I nod, feeling sad.

The nurse leaves me alone in the room and I lay my head on the edge of Abel's bed, stroking his cheek.

"Please just wake up," I whisper, my fingers brushing over his lips. "I need to hear your voice."

After a long time of staying in that position, I get up and go to the little draw of belongings.

I find Abel's phone and pick it up. None of our families know we're here and that we've been in an accident. I have to call them. Especially since I need them right now what with Abel being in a comatose state.

I look at the phone to see the time. 8.56am. We've been here for almost twelve hours.

I call Abel's mum first, since he's in worse condition than what I am and because she lives closer.

I can tell by the way her voice goes a little high pitched that she's worried. She says she'll be at the hospital as soon as possible.

Next, I call my parents who are completely shocked by the news and tell me that they'll be here in a couple of hours, since they're coming all the way from Montreal.

I try to hold myself together through both the phone calls. I don't want Abel's mum or my parents to hear me crying because that might just worry them even more and send them into a panic.

I put the phone back in the draw and go back to staring at Abel.

My eyes drift off to my hand and my engagement ring. I run a finger over it, thinking to myself.

How is it that just yesterday night Abel was proposing to me and then the next, we're here, in this hospital.

Today morning should've been different as a newly-engaged couple.

We should've been waking up beside each other in bed, showering together, eating together and just be . . . happy.

A groan snaps my head up and I find that Abel's eyes are fluttering open slowly.

"Abel?" I whisper, getting up.

He opens his eyes fully and looks at me, blinking. "Where am I?" he wants to know.

"You're in the hospital, baby," I say softly, stroking his cheek. "I'm going to get the nurse, okay?"

Running out the room with a big smile plastered on my face, I go to get the nurse.

"Excuse me, my fiance's awake!" I tell her breathlessly. I speed-walk back to the room, ignoring the pain.

I don't even bother to move out the way when the nurse's check on him and do something with the machines.

"What happened? Why am I here?" Abel asks, his voice full of panic.

"We were in a car accident," I tell him as the nurses continue to do whatever it is they're doing.

Abel nods slowly. He shifts uncomfortably. "Who are you?"

A/N: I was gonna make her the one with amnesia, but decided to have him as the one that has it because imagine Abel with amnesia... cute.

Anyways, just to let you know, this is a short story - probably around twelve chapters.

So do you think Abel will get his memories back?