ten

1 week later

Abel

I wake up in a dark room, sweat dripping all over my body as I try to place where the hell I am.

The room looks unfamiliar to me and I start to panic. "Where the hell am I?" I ask myself over and over again and it ends up turning into a shout.

The door bursts open and in comes an unfamiliar girl. "Abel?" she says. She cradles my face, but I flinch away from her.

"Who are you?" I demand.

She bites her lip. "It's me, Abel," she says in a soothing voice. "Aria?"

"Aria?" I ask, heart still racing.

She nods. "Remember, I stayed in the hospital with you?" she asks. "You said you wanted to come home with me?"

I feel myself starting to relax again, finally placing who she is. I let out a long, heavy sigh. "Aria," I say slowly and she nods. Her face visibly begins to relax and she shifts around. "I'm sorry. I just keep forgetting. I can't remember . . ." I trail off and let out a frustrated sound. "It frustrates me so much!"

Aria chews her lip. "It's not your fault," she tells me, touching my arm. "You're going to get better soon."

"When?" I snap, causing her to freeze. "Because this is just . . ." I trail off again and clench my hands into fists, trying to stop myself from getting any more angrier.

Aria puts her hand on my balled one and she squeezes it. "It's going to take time, but I promise you'll get better," she assures me. "You just have to keep working with the doctors." She pats my hand. "Go back to sleep, okay?"

I nod and lean back against the bed again, getting comfortable. I stare up at the ceiling blankly. "Good night," I whisper, eyes now following Aria, who is walking out the room.

She turns around and smiles. "Good night," she replies. The sound of thunder and lightning causes Aria to jump and she ends up knocking something to the floor. "Fuck!" she curses under her breath as she kneels down to pick up the fallen object. "Sorry."

"It's okay," I say, turning my body to face her. "You don't like thunder or lightning?"

Aria shakes her head. "I like the rain, but not thunder and lightning," she tells me, shuddering a little. "I don't know why. I've been scared of it since I was a child."

I chuckle. "You're the completely opposite of me," I say. "I like -"

Aria nods. "Thunder and lightning, but not the rain," she finishes off for me and I nod.

A sudden rush of guilt sweeps over and I bite my tongue, feeling bad that Aria knows everything about me and I know nothing about her, since I can't remember a thing.

Another crack of lightning and thunder causes Aria to pull her robe around her even tighter.

I bite my lip, thinking if what I'm about to ask her next is a good idea or bad idea.

I take a deep breath in before talking again. "Do you, um, want to sleep in here?" I ask in a quiet and nervous voice.

Aria blinks, clearly not knowing what to say. "Oh, um . . ." She trails off. "No, it's okay. I don't want this to be a weird for you or anything. Thanks for asking though." She starts to walk out the room, but I call out to her again.