Take-backs

*Capitulo 16*

As my mom turned her back, I rolled my eyes and turned around, annoyed by the punishment she had just bestowed on me.

I was grounded for two weeks for leaving with Tatiana without telling anyone of my whereabouts. Apparently, Dimitri no longer sensed my presence on the lands as soon as Tatiana whisked us away, and that set everyone into a panic mode. For the hour and a half we were gone, a search party was conducted, and even my parents put a bounty on anything that breathed, thinking they had somehow taken me. The second we were back though, I was pounced by a black wolf, who just licked every inch of my face, before very thoroughly searched every visibly part of my skin.

Once Maximus was done with his search, I had to willingly let Dimitri hold me in his arms for a few seconds. The entire time my dad was rubbing his fur all around me, Dimitri was staring at me, his fingers twitching as he clenched and un-clenched them into fists from his sides. I wasn't thinking of letting him hold me, but one small little push of my mom had me sighing, and taking the last step towards him.

The feel of his warm breath fanning down my neck made me shiver not in coldness, but in something else. His arms tightened for a few more seconds, before he released me and let me take my two steps back to separate us.

"I take it they didn't leave you unpunished?" Came her voice from behind me, and I groaned. I lifted my head from the pillow I had buried my face in, but then quickly buried it again when I saw her sitting down next to me.

"What did they do to you?" She was alive, and uninjured from what I saw, but I was positive they had threatened her or even prohibited something.

"Nothing." I could practically see her grin, even though I wasn't staring at her. "They can't touch me. Besides, they know perfectly well I can protect you. I don't know-" When she stopped short, I peeked through my lashes and saw her staring off into space.

"Tatiana?"

At the sound of her name, she quickly shook her head and tilted her head down to give me a small smile. "It's alright. I have to go, but I'll be back tomorrow. I did make you a promise."

I nodded twice, and she disappeared before I could blink. With a sigh, I quickly untangled my hair from the braid, and let it tumble down my back in its soft waves. I didn't even bother changing into my pajamas as I walked into the bathroom, brushed my teeth and then tumbled back into bed.

Two weeks...

Life was totally unfair.

~~~~~~~

"Again!"

"No."

I threw the rock that my hands had unconsciously grabbed when I had been thrown to the floor at her, but of course she just flicked it away with a movement of her fingers.

"I said again Tatiana! I'm not going to be weak!"

I wiped the sweat on top of my forehead with my arm, and took ragged breaths, knowing that one more drop to the floor would make me stay there until someone helped me up. Tatiana wasn't standing up straight herself; her shoulders were sagging with exhaustion, and I could tell that small magic she had done to flick the rock away had taken the last of her energy away.

But we were still standing up. We could still fight, even if we were gasping and tumbling.

"I said no Emilee. That's enough." She turned her back to me, but I quickly squatted down and grabbed a smaller rock. I threw it again, groaning when it missed her completely, but sighed in relief when it caught her attention.